Aftermarket Radio Install Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2004, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
blk325is is an unknown quantity at this point
I did a search on this topic in every way that I knew how to and came up with nothing. I have a '93 BMW 325is and wanted and aftermarket CD. I bought an Alpine 7893 and installed it and the radio works great but whenever I go to play a CD no sound comes out of the speakers. I called my local audio shop and they told me in order for the CD player to work that I had to run speaker wire to each individual speaker. I thought they where joking but I took an old speaker that I had laying around and hooked it up to the radio to see if I had gotten the magic factory defect but to my suprise it worked. I was wondering if there is a way to get around this or if the only way to get the radio to work is to wire each and every speaker individualy? I appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks in advance. ghead
blk325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2004, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
If you get sound from AM/FM but not CD then you probably have a faulty HU. If you dont have AM?FM, then its not really installed.

Pull the headunit, and examine the harness. There should be an adapter that at some point in time plugged the speaker outs into the factory harness. If you see none, then the installer cut the harness off and wired the new HU incorrectly.

Also, Im moving this to audio.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
blk325is is an unknown quantity at this point
I installed the HU myself. I bought the unit brand new and hooked it up in one of my other cars to see if it works and it does just fine. I hooked all the speaker wires from the HU harness to the corresponding speaker wires on the BMW harness. Everything is hooked up right but for some reason when I play a CD no sound comes from the speakers. The HU works perfect on AM/FM. It seems like the factory wiring can't handle the signal coming from the HU and needs seperate wiring that can handle the impendance. In a nutshell thats how it was explained to me. I was just wondering if someone was trying to take me to the cleaners or if this was the truth with this model BMW. As I staked I hooked a speaker that I had laying around up to the HU and it worked fine so I know the CD portion of the HU works fine. Just something in the '93 BMW wiring is what has me confused. Does anyone know any tricks to get around this? Any help is appreciated.
blk325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
Thats BS.

A CD player puts out the same load regardless of the source, be it CD or airwave. Thats like saying a TV can't handle DVDs, because the picture overwhelms it. The HU is putting out the same RMS wattage irrespective of media.

If the HU played CDs in other cars and you know the wiring is correct, I can't think of what would cause that.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2008 128i
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
I've seen some HUs have problems from being a bit squished or tweaked from install and only having the problem with things like playing CDs if AM/FM works fine perhaps something mechanicaly causing a problem with the CD mechanism.

I just had a Alpine 9811 installed in my '94 325i and it works great. installers were done in less than an hour and i doubt they ran any extra wires in that time...
Old 05-02-2004, 03:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
lelzie is an unknown quantity at this point
If there was any solution to this issue I would love to hear about it. I just purchased a 2003 BMW 330i and replaced the CD with a Sony. I hooked up the harness correctly and the AM/FM works wonderfully. The sound quality using the HK speakers that were with the car was excellent. However, once I put in a CD, it ran and you can see it working but NO SOUND at all comes out of the deck. I too then placed this same HU in a toyota and no problems with the CD. I would like to not have to modify the existing speaker wiring or go thorugh and route wiring for each speaker individually. PLEASE HELP
lelzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
that would be a question for the bastards that made it. You could probablly get free stuff out of it
Old 05-02-2004, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
No guys, there is a much simpler solution, i posted the answer on the thread started by, lelzie.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?...topic=12055&hl=

(form url)
Old 05-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BUSTaMOVE is an unknown quantity at this point
I had same problem the thing is u need to switch some wires on the harness . theres a antenna remote wire and a ant/amp remote wire u only have the antenna onehooked up not the ant/amp remore one i had some problem . just look at a wiring chart. and u will see what im talking about
BUSTaMOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics