Aftermarket HU to factory harness - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 02:34 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
schverp is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
96 328i (non Harmon Kardon):
=====================

I'm replacing the Bose head unit with a Nak CD400, which has 4v preamp outs, 47 watts (hi level outs), and a low THD rating.

I realize the best way to do this is to rewire all new spkrs with an aftermkt amp. For a rapidly upcoming roadtrip, however, i want to just plug it in to the factory harness and use existing factory amp and spkrs as a temp setup.

Problem is, i'm getting mis-information. I've been told method 1 is better than 2 and vice-versa:

1) Standard harness - uses hi level outs to factory amp.

2) Amplifier integration harness - similar to standard harness, but incorporates the preamp outs, which lowers the impedence and signal sent to the factory amp.

Any advise/suggestions on which would give the best sound and not cause any damage to my new baby.
Thanks, Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 12:01 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I too faced a similar problem, upon buying my car I needed something IMMEDIATELY! So I threw in a Nak CD45-z and just used a metra harness (I think a 70-8590 Part no.) to interface the decks amp to the car's amp. It works fine, but I quickly installed a proper audio system now that I've had the time!

#3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 02:23 PM
n00b

schverp is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
good to know, thanks jllphan...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics