BMW Werkz banner

Aftermarket HU to factory harness

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  schverp 
#1 ·
96 328i (non Harmon Kardon):
=====================

I'm replacing the Bose head unit with a Nak CD400, which has 4v preamp outs, 47 watts (hi level outs), and a low THD rating.

I realize the best way to do this is to rewire all new spkrs with an aftermkt amp. For a rapidly upcoming roadtrip, however, i want to just plug it in to the factory harness and use existing factory amp and spkrs as a temp setup.

Problem is, i'm getting mis-information. I've been told method 1 is better than 2 and vice-versa:

1) Standard harness - uses hi level outs to factory amp.

2) Amplifier integration harness - similar to standard harness, but incorporates the preamp outs, which lowers the impedence and signal sent to the factory amp.

Any advise/suggestions on which would give the best sound and not cause any damage to my new baby.
Thanks, Craig

See less See more
#2 ·
I too faced a similar problem, upon buying my car I needed something IMMEDIATELY! So I threw in a Nak CD45-z and just used a metra harness (I think a 70-8590 Part no.) to interface the decks amp to the car's amp. It works fine, but I quickly installed a proper audio system now that I've had the time! :rock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.