Aftermarket CD install question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 03:37 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jhawth1 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Aftermarket CD install question

I have a 1995 318IS and decided to replace the stereo in it. I have put aftermarket speakers in and re wired them. I purchased the antena adaptor but now have no radio? the Stock antenna has 2 wires going to the factory deck and the adaptor I purchased only has one leaving the 2nd small wire hanging. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 06:43 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
there are actually 2 antennas in your car. while you travel down the road, the factory radio would choose which antenna is stronger and use it. It samples like 10 times per second or something like that. you dont need the second antenna lead, just tape it off so it doesnt touch anything.

if you still have your factory radio, plug it back in with only the larger of the two antennas and see if it works. tune it to a local AM station. the only reason I say AM is you can pick up some FM stations without an antenna, but you HAVE to have a working antenna to pick up AM.

see what happens there and lemme know...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 06:53 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Tried

I taped off the smaller of the two and still nothing? Maybe the adapter I bought is defective. Thanks for the quick response. I will see if a new adapter fixes the issue. I just read on the net that the car may have a factory antenna booster that i need to feed power to. Does anyone know which wire that might be?

Thanks again

Last edited by jhawth1; 04-28-2007 at 06:59 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Man I Am An Idiot

OK so as soon as I hooked up the power to the antenna booster it all worked perfect DOH! Thanks again for the earlier advice :-)
#5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 08:55 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
no prob, enjoy your tunes...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics