adding XM Radio - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 09:03 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
batta is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I am adding XM radio to my 2002 530i. I got the commander (small hidable) receiver. Anyone have any placement input or other experiences to share?

[COLOR=blue]2002 530i Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 10:38 PM
n00b

robin_hood is an unknown quantity at this point
My advice is get Sirius! It will soon be standard on the new 5's It's much better than XM.

Sirius sounds the best, has the most varied programming, including the NFL, and they soon will have streaming stock quotes and sports scores. Sirius has 3 geosynchronus satellites at a high elevation orbit that provide superior line-of-sight coverage. Here's a link to the Sirius website explaining the differences:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1065475754125

And here's a graphic showing the satellites and orbits of both the Sirius and XM satellites.

http://www.tiger-usa.com/sirius-xmorbitanim.gif

If you are near a Sound Advice, check them out. My local Sound Advice specializes in BMW's and Mercedes installations.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 01:33 PM
n00b

dooleyuga is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dooleyuga Send a message via MSN to dooleyuga
I have a 2004 525i...was not prewired for SAT. Can someone tell me what I need to get SAT in there?

I had a Z4 and I was told to get a small interface with a cable for like $125 to tap in, is that the case?
#4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 04:38 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
batta: I am assuming you are talking about the XM commander? As this unit is smaller than the delphi or JVC units, you re privied a few more options. You might think about integrating it in the cigar lighter position. If you post a pic of your interior, I could probably make many more suggestions. And while I agree that Sirius is better, they are both great. If your not a huge NFL fan, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

dooleyuga: You have three options as far as interfaces are concerned.

FM Modulated
Cassette Adaptor
CD changer--->AuxIn Adaptor

An FM Modulator is offered in both wireless and wired configurations from both providers. This is the poorest in terms of Sound Quality, but is a clean installation. If wired it can be in stalled so that no wires show.

The cassete adaptor is a very simple install and the hole install can be done at home in no time. The most difficult part is running the antenna lead. It will offer the best possible cassette SQ. The downside is the wired cassette adaptor that leaves a jumble of wires laying around. If I remember correctly, the XM Commander comes this way.

I've heard of (somewhere in this forum) but not seen an aftermarket adpator that can be used with the oem CD Changer din connection to convert to an RCA Input. A satelite radio used in conjunction with one of these would be the best way to go. It will provide the best SQ, clean install, and overall my recomendation if located.

#5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 05:29 PM
n00b

mlomker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mlomker
There are a couple brands of aux convertors. Which one works depends upon the model year: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxbmw.html

I bought the Soundgate adaptor that lets you add a Pioneer XM radio and it works as advertised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics