97 328i Stereo Installation gone awry - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
AprilandTom is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

ghead

Ok, I just wanted to start by saying hello to everyone and let you know that you have all been helpful with past posts. But now I have a problem with mine. I bought a panasonic ghost face stereo to install in the bmw. I am taking the old factory stereo out and replacing it because the display is shot. The factory stereo WAS working before my husband pulled it out. I had installed one of the stereos before in the past so I knew that I could just by the pre-wired harnesses for my car and that it would be a sinch to replace. Ok to make a long story short, my husband put the new stereo in and there is power but the face plate does not work. I tried the face plate on our old stereo and it works fine but the unit is bad? I am returning that right now for a warranty exchange. My problem, however lies with the factory stereo now because when I reinstalled that it does not work and once again it is getting power because the security light on it is blinking. I popped the hood and checked alll fuses including the one in the back of the stereo and now I have nothing! I am totally clueless as to where the problem could be! Can someone please help me and give me some suggestions??? Anything would help at this point!

AprilandTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2008 128i
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
You sure you have the right harness?
Old 05-12-2004, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Yes, everything fit correctly and I had to buy 2 harnesses, one for the car and one for the stereo that plugged into each other. What I am not understanding is why the old stereo wont work now. I wanted to reinstall that since I have to wait for my new one to come back.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
iantosca is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to iantosca
AprilandTom ... I have a '98 328i and was curious if the installation of an head unit is difficult to do. I'm new to it, should I just have it done professionally?

<span style='color:red'>For Sale:</span> Sony CDX-F5000 Xplod w/ Wiring Harness, iBook G3 900 Mhz 640 MB SDRAM w/ Original Box and Software + OS X Panther + Microsoft Office

(PM on any offers, Going on E-Bay soon ...)
iantosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
It is not hard to do at all. If you are replacing the factory stereo with a new stereo just go to circuit city and buy the wiring harnesses. You might want to drive the vehicle down there just to make sure that they give you the right antenna and wiring harnesses. Most likely you will have to do what I did and get two harnesses. One that fits the BMW wiring harness to a connector and then one that fits the connector and then fits into the stereo that you are installing. It is really simple. It takes about 10 minutes. Oh and just a tip the wiring harness on the bmw is funky. You have to slide the case that is covering the harness to one side. If you look at the case from the side you will see the little things that it slides on and you can see what direction it goes from there and then you just pull it off once it is slid open.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:

Ok I have an update. Ironically the display read code this morning. I guess it has been saying code this whole time and I could not read the display since it is out and that is the whole reason for replacing the stereo. So now my question is this, does anyone know what the 6-digit reset "code" is for my stereo. I think that I am going to call my dealer here in town and see if they have any answers for me.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Question

I have yet another update. Word of advice to those of you that ever get the code message on your stereo. Don't do anything. I thought that you could just guess and put in a code and I was wrong. I talked to my dealer and he said that I have to call the service department with the serial number from the back of the stereo and they will give me the code. I have not done that yet though but he did ask me what I had done since the code message and I told him that after I tried a code that it said "code wait" and he said that now the stereo is in "protect" mode because it thinks it was stolen. So now I have to leave the ignition key on for an hour before I can enter the code to reset it. So that is where I am at right now. Just a little FYI for those of you that might have this same problem someday.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
Just a little more FYI, you can also disconnect the battery to circumvent the hour wait time.

And yes, to reinstall the factory unit you have to have the code, which can only be obtained by giving the dealer the serial number. This number should be listed in the owners manual, if the car still has it.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car: Grey 1994 BMW 530i Touring 3.0L V8
Photos:
Howie09 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Howie09
Circuit city is gone now lol
Howie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Circuit City was going fairly strong 5 years ago, when this thread was created.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
caryabhi124 is on a distinguished road
what is circuit city?

Last edited by caryabhi124; 05-13-2009 at 12:20 PM.
caryabhi124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics