BMW Werkz banner

'94 318is Rear Deck Speaker Question...

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ultraviolet353 
#1 ·
I have a '94 rear deck speaker question--I know the rear deck is suppoposed to have 4" coaxials, but can I use bigger? 5.25? or 6.5?

#3 ·
Cut it with what exactly, (instead of taking it to a audio center)

#4 ·
i mean it's metal, what's good and easy handtool to cut metal (no electrical machines)

#5 ·
there really arent. I dremel is about the cheapest tool you could buy to cut it with. You could try a hacksaw, but that could take awhile.

#6 ·
Dremel??? hey prez, could you explain whats that?

#11 ·
A couple of other possibilities if you dont want to risk cutting the holes bigger;

You can buy huge 2"-2.5" spacers which you can fasten over the4" holes and mount the bigger speakers in. Unfortunately the look ugly.

Another alternative is to leave the 4" hole and grill but mount the bigger speaker from underneath. Looks better but will not sound as good as mounted on top or with a bigger hole. It will sound better than most 4" speakers though.

Another option is to get a seriously good set of 4" speakers. These will often rivel or beat less expensives larger speakers anyway.

The best option is to just have a seriously good set of components in the front and a sub in the back, and forget the 4" speakers altogether!!!!!

#12 ·
That is the setup I have in a 318 coupe!

2 X Alpine 10" subs in boot run by a 200w Alpine Amp

Two Alpine 4" Mids in foot well and two Alpine Tweeters in front door all run by a 400w Alpine Amp

Nakamichi crossover controlling the whole lot.

I disconnected the rear speakers from BMW as they were struggling over the subs and removed them and the plastic box mounts to allow the sound through the rear parcel shelf!

Sounds awesome unless you are sitting in the back and then it sounds like just a tonne of bass - but I sit in the front so who gives!?!

J...

#13 ·
Originally posted by PMB@Sep 30 2004, 03:22 AM
The best option is to just have a seriously good set of components in the front and a sub in the back, and forget the 4" speakers altogether!!!!!
[snapback]201927[/snapback]​
Exactly. I don't use my rear at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.