'88 528e Can't hear with the lights on???!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:37 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
marinersfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to marinersfan
(Thread Starter)
Hello All! I'm new to the group and am hoping someone can shed some light(no pun intended). PO said non-OEM unit worked fine. Went to listen the day I drove it home from Spokane to Minneapolis. No power. Checked in-line fuse...good...got home. Cut out the harness out to install a Kenwood. PO at some point just spliced into wires going to the fader knob. Found a little black box that was some sort of filter and inside that was a bad fuse...Oh Damn! Anyway got new deck in and it works ok until I turn running lights or headlights on. Then the sound drops out. It still has power but just the sound drops out. Only way to get sound back is to turn lights off....turn head unit completely off and then back on. Then I have sound. If I have my lights off and I happen to use my high-beams for a quick flash or two the sound stays on so it's not just a matter of the light lighting up. One more thing. If I leave the unit on when I shut the car off and then come back to start it up there's a 50-50 chance the unit produces sound. If no sound the it's like I said I have to power the unit off completely and then power it up again. BTW, I've completely by-passed the fader knob. Unless somebody has some other ideas to share I'm going to have to save my pennies and replace all the speakers and tweeters and rebuild from scratch. I'm taking suggestions on speaker replacements as well. Maybe some Infinity RS5's??? Thanks in advance guys!! I'm so tired of cruisin at night with no tunes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 12:27 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
can you unsplice from the fader? if its connected to your deck just disconnect that and see what happens. or unsplice what was spliced in and see if anything else stops working that you need. If not then no problems.

2008 128i Jetblack
#3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
he already said it's been disconnected.

I really don't know what to tell you. If its not a wiring issue, there's probably a problem with the cars charging system. It sounds to me like the radio is going off because the headlights are taking the power away from the radio.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 06:00 PM
n00b

marinersfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to marinersfan
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Ben, as I stated I already did that. The fader knob has no wires going to it at all. I was told previously that the fader knob being included in the realm of non-OEM units can create all sorts of fubar stuff. Any other ideas? Any ideas for what to replace the speakers with? Would like some input from those who upgraded their late model 528e's...

El Pres! thanks as well. if there was such a draw as you state and that certainly sounds like a viable possibility then the question comes to my mind first that wouldn't the same sound loss occur when I flashed my brights (you know without having the headlights or running-lights)???

Someone else suggested that maybe the older cars just aren't set up to handle the power configurations of today's newer head units. Their suggestion was to add a separate amplifier and see if that works but while I agree that might just work it doesn't sound like the true answer to the real problem...

Gosh I hate electrical problems!! ghead I'm a mechanically inclined person. Moving parts are governed by common sense therefore common sense applied to mechanical issues usually are a lot easier for me to figure out... My "old school" audiophile tactics just cut it these days

Anywho, thanks guys!....anyone else wanna chip in their $.02 worth?

Still takin a poll on replacement speakers that you guys have put in your 528e!!
#5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 09:35 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
take it to an installer and have them poke around. my guess is many will do the poking around for free or low cost then depending on the problem you can get what needs to be done there most likely for more cost, or figure it out on yer own.

2008 128i Jetblack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics