2001 z3 2.5i only have valet key , need keyless - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 12:46 AM
zr3
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zr3 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
2001 z3 2.5i only have valet key , need keyless

i only got the valet key with the car , i could do aftermarket alarm , but i might just want the factory keyless entry , should i get a key fob from the dealer and program it myself or should i have the dealer do it ??? it does need to go to the dealer for some service , but is this easy or ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 01:18 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
In this specific area of security and keys, I would indeed go to a BMW dealer and bite this one bullet and get a legit set of keys. There are just so many reasons to avoid problems from this. The valet key is missing the side groove and so cannot access the trunk or glove box. So far as I know, the safety features were carefully designed. Why not take advantage of them? I know the price is high, but I don't see avoiding it on keys. That's my late night 1 & 1/2 cents worth. Good luck.

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
I agree with roadster, Just go to the dealer costs around 220ish and programming is easy i was even able to do it lol

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 10:30 PM
zr3
Neutral Member

zr3 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
thanks , i agree on the key and so on , is there no other way to lock the trunk ??? i would think an after market alarm would be able to lock the trunk if wired correctly , 220 ish is quite the bill for a key . i will take it to the beemer dealer when i,m done painting . thanks guys
#5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
you can get one cut by the vin# i didnt even bring my car when i ordered it...

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:50 AM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
our cars (at least mine) dont come with a fancy key with buttons, they use a seperate remote...the FIRST thing i did when i got my Z3 home was take it to get an alarm installed, 2 way pager kind with motion sensors and all the good stuff except for remote start

also, when i went to ask how much a replacement key for my e36 325i would be, the guy told me $80 bucks....my z3 key and my old 325i key look EXACTLY the same

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
#7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Its the transponder in the newer keys that make them expensive. It keeps the car from starting unless THAT key is in the ignition. The ones with the keyless buttons tack on even more moneys. Go to the stealer though. They will program it correctly. We have a local place (Jay Key)that makes keys. If you have one original key, these guys know how to program the transponder and obviously cut the key. If you have a place like that around your area, you might also check them out. They could probably save ya a few bucks IF they can do the programming.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:35 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
My 2002 last production year Z3 has the key and buttons all in one. They thought they lost all but one when I bought it and said it was $500 to order a full set back then. I later found them all in the owner's manual and called them to save them the $.

PS Miggs - you CAN run the fog lights ONLY while the parking lites are on - never realized that before. Just turn on fogs while parking lights only are on and presto! With no headlights. Pretty cool.

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 PM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsterMadness
My 2002 last production year Z3 has the key and buttons all in one. They thought they lost all but one when I bought it and said it was $500 to order a full set back then. I later found them all in the owner's manual and called them to save them the $.

PS Miggs - you CAN run the fog lights ONLY while the parking lites are on - never realized that before. Just turn on fogs while parking lights only are on and presto! With no headlights. Pretty cool.
cool that your key is the new nice one with buttons, i really want/like that key...but i have an aftermarket alarm, so i guess it would be pretty useless to me, lol

as for the fogs...thats a negative on my end...since my car didnt come with foglights from the factory, i had to retrofit them, i cant have just the fogs with parking lights...i NEED to have my low beams on...weird i know....eventually ill get a bentley manual and chekc out the wiring and see whats different, but for now, its ok, lol

#10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
@ Miguel: your post tells me that you wired the fogs to the low-beams. If you change your wiring so that you feed the fogs from the parking lights, you should be good to go.

#11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
teh daniel is correct-o...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 PM
The Messican

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
@ Miguel: your post tells me that you wired the fogs to the low-beams. If you change your wiring so that you feed the fogs from the parking lights, you should be good to go.

see the good thing about the Z is that those that do not have foglights are prewired, unlike e36 3 series, all you have to do is screw in the fog lights, plug in a relay from the dealer, put in a switch (also from the dealer) and presto, you ahve fogs....i asked around bf.c and everyone told me that its normal for Z's that had the foglights retrofitted to act like that (no fogs unless lows are on)

id like to take a look at the wiring sometime, but everything is so cramped in the Zs engine bay, its hard to really have a look around with out taking a lot of stuff out (e.g., headlights, airbox, and washer fluid reservoir)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics