1997 528i radio problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2004, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BMRBABE42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help!! I just bought a 1997 528i bmw and my radio has stopped working. At first the display lights went out and then when I started the car the next day, the radio would not come on and it has not come on since. I know that it is not a fuse. Any suggestions on what the problem could be?? Thanks for your help!!
BMRBABE42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
most likely an interal short.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2008 128i
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
try the stealer.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Endangered Beatz is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy mine.....
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1997 bmw 528i
Photos:
plumeria is on a distinguished road
Mine Too!!

Mine went out a few days ago. I had the fuses checked and they were fine. The guy said it was probably the ignition wire. His boss tried to sell me a whole new system for 1800!!! I will try else where to fix it.
plumeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Typically there are two fuses for the radio, one for the memory circuit (clock, radio staions, etc.), and one for the key circuit (turning on radio and/or amp). If all the fuses are good, you will have to take out the radio and make sure you have power on at least two wires (memory and key wires). If you do, more than likely your radio is bad and will need replaced. You didnt say what year your car is but if its the same as the author of this thread, you are talking about a 11-12 year old radio that really is way outdated. Unless you have to have the factory look for some reason, you can go aftermarket for less than a quarter of the price and probably sound better and have more features (mp3 etc.) Hope this helps and to werkz btw...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1997 bmw 528i
Photos:
plumeria is on a distinguished road
Smile

thank you bull, that was helpful. I did upgrade to a new audio system and now can watch dvds and plug my ipod. It was for the best that it blew out.

xoxoxo
plumeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, a lot of times its just better to upgrade...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 06-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
seanv is on a distinguished road
da bull, im new to this whole bmw scene and my new (to me) 97 528 stereo sux. i do love the audio control on the wheel and... how clean the dash is. what can be put in thats clean? bsw offers speakers and cd player but dont mention the main head unit. thanks for any advice. sean
seanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanv View Post
da bull, im new to this whole bmw scene and my new (to me) 97 528 stereo sux. i do love the audio control on the wheel and... how clean the dash is. what can be put in thats clean? bsw offers speakers and cd player but dont mention the main head unit. thanks for any advice. sean
I sugest a small Kicker Sub and Boston Acoustic Speakers.... i love my boston's in my benz and the kicker subs I had in the 7..... but was over kill 1 would do good!
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thanks alpine. im trying not to loose that cavernous trunk lol. i cart alot of gear to work so a sub and enclosure has to be as small as pos. hell if some component 6x9's and enclosures fit in rear great and then do seperates up front. the head unit still is messed up i think. the readout is missing a line or two so i need to send out for repair or replace that part.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
If you are going to replace the headunit and want it to look fairly stock, I believe Blaupunkt still makes a radio that can change to the orangeish-red that these cars have: Blaupunkt - Receivers - MP3 Tuners - Brisbane SD48

Old 06-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thanks for the help bull.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
No problemo...I would also suggest to get a wiring harness to do the install.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
well im still not happy about going a/m head unit just yet. all that i have seen look terrible in the dash and wonder if having this factory unit repaired would be worthwhile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics