1996 328is - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 09:35 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tiger8mush is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
HI all, to keep it quick I just purchased my first BWM!
1996 328is with the "upgraded" HK system (in my opinion is stinks!).

1) Does the OEM HU have preamp outputs? if not, what is a good stock-looking aftermarket HU?

2) Also, I want to put some MB Quarts in the front.... a 3 piece component system. What have ya'll done that works and looks good? I had the 6.5" Q series in my old car and loved it.

3) Finally, what is the JL 8" stealthbox that fits in the rear factory locations? Anyone have it? if so, how is install/look/sound?

Thanx!
Rob

(happy new BMW owner!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 12:51 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
Alpines and Nak... look good and can match color in many case as well as sound good..

I have Infity's all around sounds good too.

MB Quarts is good stuff tooo.. if i could of afforded it I would a done components up front but just got some good 2ways... 3 ways in the back.

2008 128i Jetblack
#3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
OE doesn't have preamp outs, plus you would be happier with the EQ options of most aftermarkets anyway.

I think I started the infinity trend here, and I haven't heard of any problems anyone has had with them as a result. A friend of mine did MBs in his car up front and JLs in the back. Sounded great.

The steathbox is basically as you described it. It fits in the rear speaker spots and is carpeted so not to look trashy in the trunk. Look great, and while I have not heard first hand, I have heard others say they are tremendous improvement, but still lack the deepness of a 10.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 06:46 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanx everyone for your info so far! Hey "007ben", have you installed either of the HUs? Which is easier? Can you suggest a particular model #?

And "El Presidente", did your friend install a 3-piece MB setup up front? If so, do you remember the model #?

Thanx guys!
Rob
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:28 AM

I didn't do the install myself but its ususaly just a harnes and an antenna adapter. so niether will be much if any harder...

pres i knew infinify was good stuff before i got here... but you may not have helped matters.

A lot of the guys like the alpine 75somethings... I have a 9811 in my car.

you can see pres's 75something and my 9811 and a nakimichi(sp? way off i'm sure) and some others here...
http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/topic10667.html

2008 128i Jetblack
#6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Defector

O Im sure you did, but you're not the only person who has purchased them since. As for the MBs butters put in, I never asked the model number.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
#7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 07:56 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanx for that link 007. I'll have to check out the Alpines at a local shop. I've been happy with Pioneer in the past and was wondering about the performance of Alpine but everyone seems happy w/theirs so far

The MB website doesn't show any available 3-way components for 5.25", 4", and .75" - although they made the RSB 325 in the past so i'll have to look for those. I was also thinking maybe I could get the Q series 5.25 2 way components, and piece in a 4" Q series woofer and look for a musicomp 3 way crossover. Anyone try this?

Thanx!
Rob
#8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 08:22 AM

CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
i have the panasonic ghost headunit and it looks awesome when the car is off, and when it is on... you can change the color so it matches the interior (green, blue, red, white, purple...)

http://68.46.80.158/users/bmw/pages/DSC00096.html

#9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:20 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Just to put my 2 pennies in.....

Alpine makes great decks. Most people buy them based on reputation, but there is a reason they have a good one. I have sold and owned Alpine for some time and highly recomend them. They are one of the few companies left that are highly specialized (they make car audio and car audio only). I now have a Nakamichi just because I have turned into a sound snob and think their headunits have a noticeably better sound than most (their illumination also matches the BMW amber almost perfectly which gives it a undestracting oem look). Keep in mind they are built for sound not for compatablilty, so if you are buying a radio for compatability (i.e. cdr, cdrw, MP3, etc.), don't even think about Nak.

As for speakers, I think you would be hard pressed to find a three driver component set up to replace your oem set up for any kind of reasonable price. I might recomend purchasing a two driver set up (tweet and 5.25" mid) and just forget about your other door speaker. This is much more cost effective and upon completion, you will notice better sound quality than the oem three way set up. As for brands, Infinity, PolkAudio, MBQuart (in that order) are decent choices. If you have money coming out the wazoo, look at Diamond Audio, Polk Momo, and Focal.

#10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Defector

Boston Acoustics and Bose are also higher end brands worth looking into.

#11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:40 PM
n00b

fstbmw95 is an unknown quantity at this point
how much does the Nakamichi head unit cost and where can one be purchased? is there an aux out to connect an ipod?
#12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:49 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Prez, i sure realize eveyone is entitled to there opinion, and everyone surely hears things differently, but dude, Bose sucks. Yes, Yes, I know if they suck so bad, then why are they the oem sound system in expensive cars and why do they have such a great rep? The answer: $$$$$. Bose spends millions MORE than anyone else in advertising and convincing automakers to use it. Fact of the matter is, they are great cabinet makers. They do make very good enclosures. The speakers themselves are very cheap. That's why the speaker grills on virtually all their speakers (home of course) are glued on. They don't want you to see what's in there. And if you have looked at 301's or god forbid 901's (both have removable grills) you are treated to a cheap paper cone speaker with a foam surround, a cheap stamped basket and a very small magnet. Besides we are talking about car audio, unfortunately we don't get nice enclosures with our speakers, we are forced to use a door or kick panel as our "box". Don't mean to come off as an ass (i think i did anyway), but Bose is THE MOST overated speaker on the planet. Everyone even jokes in my industry, "no highs, no lows...it must be bose!!"

BTW, Boston Acoustics is a fine speaker manuracturer, thanks for mentioning them

#13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:52 PM
WOT in Reverse

See look at me, Prez says something and start ranting. Maybe I can be a little more conctructive.

The CD45z (which is what i have) does have an aux in. That is how i have my satelite radio connected. But yes you could certainly connect an ipod or virtually any aulxillary audio source for that matter.

I dont think they make my radio anymore, they have a replacement. I will check their website and see what that is.

As far as price goes, they are not cheap...enough said.

[edit] It looks like the CD400 is the new model of my deck. You might do a google search to find a retailer and the current price list (probably tough to find a dealer in your area, I had to drive 4hrs to Atlanta for mine)

#14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 12:18 AM

bose=garbage

for many other reasons but jllphan got most of them...

2008 128i Jetblack
#15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Defector

Hey, I get this feeling you don't like Bose. Can't figure why...

I will admit I have not heard much of their mobile audio line, but some of their home speakers I've heard are truley amazing. Now you've got me wanting to go take a closer look at them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics