1996 328i, Midrange Speakers In Doors- - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2005, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
gfowler is an unknown quantity at this point
So far this has been a surprisingly difficult question to get answers to, but does anyone know a good aftermarket replacement speaker for the original factory mids in the doors? I think they're 3 1/2".. so far the only interesting replacement I've found is the Infinity 3002cf, but they come without grills. Is it possible to seperate the factory speakers in the doors from their grills? The grills also match the interior color.. Thanks!
gfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2005, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ologyaudio is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gfowler@Jun 10 2005, 12:20 PM
So far this has been a surprisingly difficult question to get answers to, but does anyone know a good aftermarket replacement speaker for the original factory mids in the doors? I think they're 3 1/2".. so far the only interesting replacement I've found is the Infinity 3002cf, but they come without grills. Is it possible to seperate the factory speakers in the doors from their grills? The grills also match the interior color.. Thanks!
[snapback]352355[/snapback]
Well it appears that 5.25" speakers fit in your doors and 4" speakers fit in the rear deck

They say that you are limited to 2" depth for doors which I find hard to believe especially the rear deck... strange. (This was refrenced from cartoys.com, crutchfield says some speakers with greater than 2” depth fit though…) 5.25" is a nice size for car speakers IMHO -- 6.5 or 7" is better but you can defiantly make do with 5.25"

4" however is much harder to manage with... ESPECIALY with 2" depth limitation! If you are handy I would look at modifying the rear deck to make it accept larger diameter speakers... Or have a professional do something, which can get expensive...

First order of business is to see if 2" depth is what you are actually limited to.
Second -- Are you willing to modify your vehicle from stock -- If so to what degree? (Just component tweeters on A pillars or are you good to cut on the doors and do some modifications there)
Third -- Need to find out what your budget is to try and recommend something to you

Also generally the factory grills are simply a part of the door… the speakers are behind that… To have larger speakers fit you would need to make a hole where the grill is (and possibly behind where the speaker enclosure is) and reinforce the weak plastic from behind.

See ya,
Dylan
ologyaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by ologyaudio+Jun 10 2005, 06:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ologyaudio @ Jun 10 2005, 06:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-gfowler@Jun 10 2005, 12:20 PM
So far this has been a surprisingly difficult question to get answers to, but does anyone know a good aftermarket replacement speaker for the original factory mids in the doors? I think they're 3 1/2".. so far the only interesting replacement I've found is the Infinity 3002cf, but they come without grills. Is it possible to seperate the factory speakers in the doors from their grills? The grills also match the interior color..* * Thanks!* *
[snapback]352355[/snapback]
Well it appears that 5.25" speakers fit in your doors and 4" speakers fit in the rear deck

They say that you are limited to 2" depth for doors which I find hard to believe especially the rear deck... strange. (This was refrenced from cartoys.com, crutchfield says some speakers with greater than 2” depth fit though…) 5.25" is a nice size for car speakers IMHO -- 6.5 or 7" is better but you can defiantly make do with 5.25"

4" however is much harder to manage with... ESPECIALY with 2" depth limitation! If you are handy I would look at modifying the rear deck to make it accept larger diameter speakers... Or have a professional do something, which can get expensive...

First order of business is to see if 2" depth is what you are actually limited to.
Second -- Are you willing to modify your vehicle from stock -- If so to what degree? (Just component tweeters on A pillars or are you good to cut on the doors and do some modifications there)
Third -- Need to find out what your budget is to try and recommend something to you

Also generally the factory grills are simply a part of the door… the speakers are behind that… To have larger speakers fit you would need to make a hole where the grill is (and possibly behind where the speaker enclosure is) and reinforce the weak plastic from behind.

See ya,
Dylan
[snapback]352543[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for your reply on this! Unfortunately, (and this is typical of what I've been experiencing so far) I'm still not getting anywhere. The midranges in the doors are most definitely not 5 1/4".. that size is for the front kick panels, which I've already replaced. You're correct the rear deck speakers are 4".. The doors have a tweeter (I think 1 1/2") and midrange (I think 3 1/2").. although one car audio site said 4", but they look more like 3 1/2" to me because I just bought replacement 4" speakers for the rear panel, and they appear a little bigger (though I'm not able to hold them side by side). Anyway, the Infinity 3 1/2" I mentioned I'm sure would be satisfying, if that's the size, but they don't come with grills so it sounds like (what you described) some real work would be involved keeping the old grills, or I'd have to find new grills somewhat similar to the the old.. This definitely has not been an easy car to change out the sound system, biggest pain of any I've ever owned! But, I otherwise like the car..
Old 06-12-2005, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
My old shop has done installs on your car. It does take some work retaining the factory grills but it can be done. If you find a grill or something for the 3.5"ers that looks factory, let us know.

A quick work of a Dremel tool will get the old speakers' frame and cone material away from the grill. Unforunately, thats what holds the grill in too. You'll have to figure a way to remount the grills on the door panel. Plus there really isnt anywhere to mount the new speakers, youll have to make brackets and such. It can be done but its not fun.

Hope that helps and good luck...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by da_bull@Jun 12 2005, 04:29 AM
My old shop has done installs on your car. It does take some work retaining the factory grills but it can be done. If you find a grill or something for the 3.5"ers that looks factory, let us know.

A quick work of a Dremel tool will get the old speakers' frame and cone material away from the grill. Unforunately, thats what holds the grill in too. You'll have to figure a way to remount the grills on the door panel. Plus there really isnt anywhere to mount the new speakers, youll have to make brackets and such. It can be done but its not fun.

Hope that helps and good luck...
[snapback]352865[/snapback]
Thanks for the advice, I had a feeling it was possible to seperate the grills. An installer I talked to a few months ago (who unfortunately isn't there anymore) told me he could, and seemed quite sure of himself. Funny how others have told me no way. I'm sure it's all not fun, as you say, I'll have to explain this to my present installer to see if we want to go that route. I've found no grills for the 3.5's that look factory, that might be a problem.
One other interesting note for anyone reading this, my rear top panel speakers have turned out not to be 4", but 6 x 9's! And no, it's not aftermarket & modified, they're actual stock BMW.. they did actually use 6 x 9's, at least on this '96 328i.
Nobody seems to believe this, after the first installer (the one who told me he could seperate the grills) also said I had 6 x 9's in the back. It fools people, though, because the grills on the rear top panel don't have the dimensions you'd expect for 6 x 9's, and the housing underneath (from the trunk) doesn't appear big enough to house 6 x 9's.. but they're in there. I think they're a thin depth type.. my present installer just ordered Blaupunkt ODX 6 x 9's which he said would work as replacements. BMW doesn't exactly make things simple!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
nope they dont. they dont think that their audio can be improved on, and no one in their right mind would want to replace their perception of audio excellence It amazes me that they take so much pride in the rest of the car (suspension, motors that go 400K, quiet ride, etc) and they dont spend just a little more in the audio field. Granted the newer ones are WAY better than my E34, but you can still improve on them for less than a grand, retail even. Now if they could just get a cup holder in my $40K car somewhere.

On a side note, the shops that told you they "couldnt", read into that they "are scared because they dont do it all the time, and dont want the liability for replacing your door panel".

If you want to try it yourself, get one out of a salvage yard, or maybe someone on this forum will have one for cheap you could get for a guinea pig.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics