1995 740i AMP-Battery dead - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
slimmerkitty is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 1995 740i AMP-Battery dead

Here is the problem my 1995 740i that I just bought had a after market amp hooked up to the factory amp, (all messed up) anyway I rewired back the way it was suppose to be the problem is i touched wires to the aftermarket amp to speaker wires and the factory amp statted to smell like it was burnt. Only the tweeters worked last night and now this morning the car battery is dead and wont start. What should I do?
slimmerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
yup sounds like the factory amp is toast. Headunit power usually runs the tweeters and an amp to the mids. Unhook all the power wires to the aftermarket amp and see if the battery will take a charge. If it does, redo the aftermarket amps wires correctly. I am thinking the way it was wired, it was staying on all the time, running the battery down.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Unhappy Dead battery

I unhooked the aftermarket amp and the battery is staying charged now but there is no sound coming out anywhere. I rewired the amp back to the way it was suppose to but it drained the battery and started to smell like it was burning. So I unhooked it again.And the battery is fine but the radio is on just no sound. Oh this is an aftermarket cd player that is installed,with the wire harness from the factory radio. The pixels in the factory radio are all not lighting up so they unhooked it. Anyway Can I install an aftermarket amp where the factory amp was? What should I do? How should I do it?

Last edited by slimmerkitty; 01-27-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
If youve got a decent radio with a fair amount of power, I'd bypass all the factory stuff and let the headunit run all the factory speakers. You're kind of at that point. The factory amp really doesnt put out much power. A decent aftermarket radio puts out as much power and simpler to make work. Your headunit probably isnt turning on the factory amp. There is a factory white wire that needs power whenever the radio is turned on (blue/white on most radios).

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Cool amp

Can you tell me how to bypass the amp? Do i unplug the factory amp at both ends and splice into the wires by color codeing?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
I answered your PM, but here it is for someone else might need the info:

The easiest way is to run new wires from the headunit to the factory amp and use the output (to the speaker) side wires to run into the doors, etc. Its kind of a pain, but if you are keeping the car, I'd go ahead and do it once and you wont have to do it again.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Try this:

Board Message

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I am going to try it later today, I hope it works. I know my factory amp is fried I am all most certain of that. So i wanted to bypass it and take it out all together, but if I have to I will try to hook up the aftermarket amp I have. Do you know how to bypass the amp with out hooking a aftermarket amp up?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
No, fraid not, best person to speak to would be an audio auto technician.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics