BMW Werkz banner

RIMS

4K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  socalguy 
#1 ·
now i have a reason to get new rims b/c
my mechanic said the front right inner was bent. Therefore i have a little
shake in my steering wheel, especially when i brake and I HATE iT!

So i have a 96 328is silver.. What rims do you all think would look best? and
what is a good brand.. does brand even matter? I dont know much about rims.
i was thinking about maybe putting some black ones on...??

all opinions appreciated...

#2 ·
Originally posted by socalguy@Apr 15 2004, 03:10 AM
now i have a reason to get new rims b/c
my mechanic said the front right inner was bent. Therefore i have a little
shake in my steering wheel, especially when i brake and I HATE iT!

So i have a 96 328is silver.. What rims do you all think would look best? and
what is a good brand.. does brand even matter? I dont know much about rims.
i was thinking about maybe putting some black ones on...??

all opinions appreciated...
i think nothing compares to OZ racing.

#3 ·
How much money are you willing to spend?

#4 ·
new style m3 rims in 18" will look sick.

#6 ·
Do ya want an oem look or aftermarket?

aftermarket: most anything by Hamman seems correct

oem: well, i like mine (below)

BTW, 17" wheels IMO are a good way to go because they are cheaper (not to mention tires), and you don't really put yourself in harms way with regards to clearence issues (possible with 18's).

Attachments

#8 ·
I say go for the M3 LTW rims, the same ones jllphan has, but you could get the OEM ones from Bavarian Autosport. I agree with the OZ statement, but last time i checked they don't fit a BMW. Maybe they do now?

I say go OE. IMO

Kevin

#9 ·
I have new 18" M3 Hyper Silver Rims on my '98. I'll try to get pictures later, and as Andrewsd1985, they look freaking awesome. 18's are perfect.

#12 ·
All depends how much money your willing to spend. I would get 17" BBS LM rims around $530 per rim. These are my next rims. I currently own 17" Mille Miglia EV-R Rims. Check out places like www.tirerack.com or www.wheelmax.com

You probly need a 5x120 bolt pattern to fit your car. Happy wheel shopping. :D

:edit: Here are some pics

If you want a cheaper type BBS rim there are ASA rims. Here is a pic of ASA AR1 Rims:

Attachments

#13 ·
Major shaking whilea braking? Ask you mech to check your control arms and tie rods, and front ball bearings, seriously. Those are probably the reason you are getting the violent shaking, and probably not the rim. Sorry. All these people who are shaking MOST LIKELY have one of these problems, if not multiple.

But if yous till got yoru heart set on rims, it's all about the HAMMAN HM2's. They are damn seksi.

#20 ·
This is exactly what my car looks like and I have the exact same rims. Go for these.

Attachments

#21 ·
Originally posted by socalguy@Apr 15 2004, 07:55 PM
yea i will take it backt o my mechanic, before i go get new rims.
yea jiphlan i like your rims...
Thanks, i was going for a proper oem look :haha . some folks like newer oem wheels on older cars and vice versa, personally i like the correct wheels for the time. Otherwise I would go aftermarket (BBS and Hamman both seem correct on a Bimmer)

#22 ·
Since we're talking rims, how does going from 16" to 17" rims affect the spedometer reading? Do you have to make any other changes (chip, ...?) to account for the increase in wheel dimension?

Can anyone point me to any informative threads?

I'm thinking about moving from a 225/50ZR16 to a 225/45ZR17.

Thanks.
:driving

#23 ·
Originally posted by leibniz@Apr 16 2004, 11:35 AM
Since we're talking rims, how does going from 16" to 17" rims affect the spedometer reading? Do you have to make any other changes (chip, ...?) to account for the increase in wheel dimension?

Thanks.
This link is very helpfull...

(you will need the Java plug-in to view it)

Daemon
:devil

#24 ·
Originally posted by leibniz@Apr 16 2004, 11:35 AM

Thanks.
Smaller tire thickness will compensate for larger rim diameter. When you get to 18-20 or so, your tire can't get that thin and that is when you might have a slight speedometer error. I think. If you look at your tire specs, you see the red numbers get smaller, while the rims get bigger. Just an example.

#25 ·
Yes, that's what I was expecting. I have a badge on the inside of the drivers door that accounts for mounting 17" rims. I've got the Sports package, including suspension, on my '97 328i. Despite having the physical space to mount 18s (or 19s?) mounting 17s with a lower profile show virtually elimiate even the slightest possibility of having an issue with rubbing. I don't believe my car has any other mods [lowering mods, for example.]

I notice that many folks are going beyond stock (stock, what is that? :D) with mods, but for now, I'd like to go very slowly with the improvements...

Thanks for the info camni :D

Thanks for the link 325... very helpful... :D

[edit]That link shows that moving to 45 height from 50 more than compensates (just barely) the 16 to 17" increase. Cool. Thanks guys.

#26 ·
Originally posted by camnipotent+Apr 16 2004, 11:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (camnipotent @ Apr 16 2004, 11:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leibniz@Apr 16 2004, 11:35 AM
Since we're talking rims, how does going from 16" to 17" rims affect the spedometer reading?  Do you have to make any other changes (chip, ...?)  to account for the increase in wheel dimension?

Thanks.
Smaller tire thickness will compensate for larger rim diameter. When you get to 18-20 or so, your tire can't get that thin and that is when you might have a slight speedometer error. I think. If you look at your tire specs, you see the red numbers get smaller, while the rims get bigger. Just an example. [/b][/quote]
The second number is the "tire profile" or "sidewall height". It is the percent of the tire width. for example 205/50 --> tire width 20.5cm, sidewall height 10.25cm.

Daemon
:devil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.