BMW Werkz banner

Rear Deck

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  El Presidente 
#1 ·
My rear deck has become loose recently and rattles all the time. Im going to take it out and dynomat it and resecure it. I've looked in my book but it does not tell me how to remove it. Can anyone tell me how it is removed. Thanks.

#3 ·
Any idea how to remove it? As best I can tell, it has litte clips similar to the ones on the door panel, but I don't know how many there are.

#5 ·
I may, but the weather here has been less than pleasant the past few days, so i want to get out and get it done rather than experiment with it.

#6 ·
You have to take out the rear seats completely (bottom and top part) and there are bolts behind to remove top panel, and it slides out. There is a example in the haynes manual. Im going to do it today becuase i have some droopy weatherstripping around my brake light. Im going to take step-by-step pics and post them.

#8 ·
nevermind.. its such a pain in the ass.

You have to take out the seats, which just pop out bu pulling on them

then you take out the thingy that goes around the seatbelt holder at the top

then you have to take out your side panels at the top with the courtesy lights in them

then it should slide out.

Theroeterically that is the method. I got up to the removing the side panels and i just said F*** it and put it all back.

If you are doing this make sure you dont break the black things theat hold the deck on

#9 ·
yeah, removing the seats is a pain and I really don't want to do that...

I figured the seatbelt trim and side pillar trim would need removal. What page(s) in the Haynes is it on? 11-29? it's a little understated IMO.

#10 ·
very common thing, especially in the 4 doors, my buddies 328i's rear deck moves up and down at least 2 inches. crazy stuff, i had this problem after a long time of deep bass notes smacking the damn thing, i used material that i use at work, its a sticky rubber material that is about 1/4 inch thick, fold it in half and wedge it in, you cant see it and the rattle is gone, i tried the dynomat approach but found it was not as good.

#12 ·
I'll play with it this weekend, or possibly this week. I'll just leave the seats and rear deck out and drive around in theft recovery mode for a few days. :)

#14 ·
I believe theft recovery mode is where everything is stripped out of your car like a theft recovery vehicle looks. LOL :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.