BMW Werkz banner

e30 325is engine clicking noise

7K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  300k 325e 
#1 ·
I have an e30 325is which has done 110k. I recently serviced the engine and replaced the timing belt tensioner and all the belts. The engine still makes this clicking sound which seems to be coming from the valve/tappet area. My mechanic says that these cars are naturally noisy but the noise wasn't this loud before. Does anybody have any suggestions?

#2 ·
how rapid is the clicking?

#3 ·
Locating a noise is just a tool away.

You can buy a stethoscope.

Or use a mechanics stethoscope:

A long screw driver and place the handle against your ear.

Remember to stay clear of moving parts and electrical connections.

Use the metal tip to locate the loudest location and then we can suggest the fix.

These BMW engines are a lot of things, but noisey is not one of them.

My WAG, Wild Assumed Guess, is a worn injector.

Later,

#4 ·
I'm curious to know how a worn injector can cause a clicking noise in the engine. I'm sure there's a logical reason for this, but I cannot think of one at the moment.

#5 ·
The clicking speed increases as the revs increase and you can barely hear it when the engine is idling. It sounds embarrassing when you are gearing down and the revs go up and you hear this annoying clicking noise. One thing I should point out is that the previous owner now tells me that he blew the head gasket about 1 year ago and they repaired it by welding the crack in the head. Could it be a dodgy head?

#10 ·
Good news....i had my mechanic reset the valves and the clicking/ticking noise is gone now. It sounds alot better especially with the lambros hi-tech exhaust. But my mechanic now tells me that my exhaust header/extractor has a crack in it which is affecting idle and power. Will need to get that repaired soon and I will have a problem-free 325is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.