BMW Werkz banner

Rear tires rubbing

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  123NotIt 
#1 ·
I've been having a problem with my 95 325i with h&r sport springs where if i go over bumps.. or dips in the road.. it would make my rear tires rub..
So i replaced the rear shock mounts and shocks(bilstein) thinking it would help... but it just got worse actually.

The current tires i have on right now are 235/45 17in. Can i make some adjustments with the suspension, or will i need to buy smaller tires?

#4 ·
there is definetely somethign wrong with your car. Those should not rub at all. my friend is runnign eibachs with bilets and he is tucking and doesn't rub. maybe you didnt get your suspension aligned after the springs, and maybe you didnt allign it after the shocks makign that twice that you screw with your suspension without alignment thereby making it even worse on the second suspension job.

#7 ·
Not sure if I went wrong.. they still rubbed before i put the new shocks and shock mounts in.

I just bought the car a few weeks ago, and the owner told me that it would rub if he had two fat guys sitting in the back.

Is there a way i can adjust my rear fender area above the tires? Oh.. say just hit it a few times with a bat and make some more room?

#9 ·
Originally posted by mole@Mar 31 2004, 11:44 PM
I've been having a problem with my 95 325i with h&r sport springs where if i go over bumps.. or dips in the road.. it would make my rear tires rub..
So i replaced the rear shock mounts and shocks(bilstein) thinking it would help... but it just got worse actually.

The current tires i have on right now are 235/45 17in. Can i make some adjustments with the suspension, or will i need to buy smaller tires?
How much did the h&r springs drop the car?

Daemon
:devil

#11 ·
Sorry, i don't know how much it's lowered, it was lowered when i bought the car.

Also about the size of shocks.. I'm not sure, the guy who i bought them from just gave them to me. He said he was going to replace them but didn't have the time to do it.

#12 ·
When I bought my car it had H&R race springs which drop it 1.3" in the back. This was done on 19" rims which caused some serious rubbing problems even with my fenders rolled. I love my rims and decided instead to raise my car by swapping to H&R OE sport springs (0.5" drop in the rear). I still rubbed a little with a full load, so I found out you can use additional or larger spring pads to raise the rear. The stock size spring pad is 7.5mm I believe. I took my old worn ones out and replaced them with 2- 10mm pads on each side (stacked on top of each other - with the center cut out of one of them). Now I have no problems rubbing at all!

Here's more info if you're interested:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_techtip/...e_clearance.htm

...Just another option to adjust the height of your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.