BMW Werkz banner

modifing 318i cabriolet

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  El Presidente 
#1 ·
I am about to fit a turbodyne electric supercharger. it was formerly a turbo pre spooler which blows constant. Im plannig to control the system from a switch mounted on the throttle body. I was wondering what else I need to do to my engine so this will be ok and not damage anything and if this will work.this system is not one of the cheap electric superchargers the company make real electric superchargers. will I need to upgrade my fuel pump? My car is an e36 318i cabriolet 1996.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
hey do u have more information on that system?

like cost, specs etc...

even a web site etc...

let me know, thanks

JR

... please let us all know how it turns out and what the gains are!

#4 ·
did u buy the electric supercahrger directly from turbodyne or somewhere else?
thanks
JR

#5 ·
Originally posted by neil12345@Mar 20 2004, 12:06 PM
I am about to fit a turbodyne electric supercharger. it was formerly a turbo pre spooler which blows constant. Im plannig to control the system from a switch mounted on the throttle body. I was wondering what else I need to do to my engine so this will be ok and not damage anything and if this will work.this system is not one of the cheap electric superchargers the company make real electric superchargers. will I need to upgrade my fuel pump? My car is an e36 318i cabriolet 1996.
you mite need injectors,umm i dont think you would need a fuel pump tho. i have seen over 430 with a stock fuel pump

#7 ·
I have bought the system off ebay about a month ago its purpose is a turbo pre spooler so if you have a turbo car, as soon as you hit the pedal the turbo is there straight away so you dont have to wait for it to kick in. this company makes an electric supercharger which is near enough the same as what kit I have but the box to control it is configured difrently mine works off switches where the supercharger they are advertising works for speed pulse from engine.
Neil

#8 ·
So what if you don't want to use it etc. (not spooling) Won't it just be an Obstruction of incoming air. Otherwise you'll need it atleast spooling just a little to keep smooth idleing, allowing air to enter engine? I dunno.....

#10 ·
Originally posted by Eggrolled211@Mar 21 2004, 11:37 AM
So what if you don't want to use it etc. (not spooling) Won't it just be an Obstruction of incoming air. Otherwise you'll need it atleast spooling just a little to keep smooth idleing, allowing air to enter engine? I dunno.....
you get out of your car and unplug it :lol:

#11 ·
u have any more infor on this turbodyne electric turob, ive been lookin into it on the internet sounds liek it works, especially if u have 2 turbos, b/c u use the electric for the first stage n then the regular one for the second stage, b/c the electic one can kick in, in about a few milliseconds, whereas a turbo has lag n u have to wait for ur car to move up in speed first!
let me kno

#12 ·
you may want to look into upgraded the engine internals, but if this is a pre-spooler and not full turbo I doubt you'll see gains to the point they would break or near breaking.

#13 ·
I was told that the system blows at 6psi. I have 1 blower not 2. the blower bit is going to go into the intake and a pipe from the air flow meter will go to the fan side of the bower. at the moment an oil breather pipe comes from somewhere by the engine and is joined to the intake pipe. when i use different pipes to pipe up the system i will be left with the breather hanging so im planning to fit an inline filter with a smaller diameter to reduce the sucking presure on the breather, is this ok I presume i have to keep the vacuum on the breather? . do you also think my head gasket will take it? engine seems strong.
Thanks

#16 ·
after months of getting ready and having pipes made and all the time in making switch brackets to finally realise thats its all been a waste of time as it did F*** ALL. I ask myself and others why this thing dont work when its just the same as a supercharger. the answer is folks I NEED MORE FUEL while the things spining. and all the bmw help in the world couldnt help as no one on here knows F*** ALL! ive decided now to f*** everything off and buy a 330ci convertable instead, problem solved.

THE END

#17 ·
great solution.

Before you do thouh, I have one possible suggestion: Talk to Bavarian Auto. They create custom tuned chips whish may be able to solve your fuel issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.