BMW Werkz banner

Hi, i just bought a 92 525i

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sp0rky 
#1 ·
Greetings! I just purchased a 1992 525i w/138k miles, $3900. I have previosly owned 2 DSMs (eclipse turbos), 93 twin turbo RX7 (pile of junk!), and handful of hondas, still own a 86 Porsche 928s in various stages of broken. I must say, i love the BMW, but i have a few questions, and im sure people here have answers!

E/S/M elctronic transmission-what is the difference, shift points?
I cant get the damn tilt steering wheel business to work for some reason
and that trip computer thing scares me.

Thanks in advance for the help. Any OT'ers here? Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome to the club !! :welcome

I have the same year 525iA. B)
So far I have spent enough on maintenance and I hope on not spending much in the coming year.

BTW that'z a good price you got for that car. I don't know how good you are with cars, but I suppose you knew all the existing repairs/maintenance for the car.

Enjoy you ride !! Pose some pics !

#3 ·
add three to the list... I got a 92 525i automatic with 139k when i baught it for $5k... As for the steering wheel, mine only telescopes... it doesnt tilt.

#5 ·
Originally posted by mr_indigo@Mar 16 2004, 09:27 PM
got a 1990 525iA, bought for 3500 last year.

ps. get ready for those thrust arm bushings to go out on you soon if they have not been replaced yet
what the hell is a thrust arm bushing? I am quit handy with cars, i have built several DSM's, one Skyline, but BMW and Porsche have all sorts of wierd crap on them. I am planning on replacing the shocks and struts next week. I was going to order tie rod ends, but apparently some screw left and some screw right. I would hate to have to take it all apart before i can even order the damn part! I absolutely love the car though, talk about smoother power.

What is entailed in the trust arm bushing?

Thanks!

#7 ·
Thrust arm bushing is easy if you buy it already pressed into the arm....
its what causes the super famous wobble at exactly 55mph...

check www.bmwe34.net
its got almost everything for these cars (including the thrust arm bushings) so read up, enjoy - have fun.

To 2Crucial:

1. Turn the ignition key on (without starting the car) and depress the accelerator pedal to the floor 5 times within 5 seconds.
2. The check engine light will remain lit for 5 seconds, blink off, light for 2.5 seconds, goes off for 2.5 sec. and will start flashing the codes.
3. Each code is separated by a 2.5 sec. pause. A 0.5 sec. blink then nothing means the end of the code reading. To read them again, depress the accelerator pedal 5 times again.
That is also from the bmwe34 site... more info on this specific topic can be found at http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm

good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.