BMW Werkz banner

M3 conversion

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tri2fiveis 
#1 ·
Okay, I just said some of that stuff up top to get people to read, haha. Anyways, does anyone have an actual estimated guess on how much it would cost to put an E46 M3 engine into an E30 chassis, I know it has been done, I am just wondering. I know that I would need an M3 gear box, then a new differential and such, and the exhaust, but what else would I need, and how much do you think this would come to?

#2 ·
Originally posted by spiff325is@Feb 29 2004, 02:07 PM
Okay, I just said some of that stuff up top to get people to read, haha. Anyways, does anyone have an actual estimated guess on how much it would cost to put an E46 M3 engine into an E30 chassis, I know it has been done, I am just wondering. I know that I would need an M3 gear box, then a new differential and such, and the exhaust, but what else would I need, and how much do you think this would come to?
i wouldnt even try that man, it would cost so much, so much custom stuff, if you did it all yourself

#4 ·
i have absolutely no clue on what the conversion would cost and have never seen it done before, but i would guess atleast $30k considering how much the engine and tranny would be, figuring out a way to adapt the S54's electronic throttle to the e30, making a full custom exhaust, getting some massive brakes, somehow adapting and wiring the ecu, getting a new driveshaft and diff, and anything else i forgot.

#5 ·
how much it would cost to put an E46 M3 engine into an E30 chassis, I know it has been done,
Actually it has not been done. It cant be done. E30 chassie cant fit all the sensors it needs. Besides why would you want all that power? The e30 chassy isnt really stable at those powers. Youd be better off with sub 200 horse power.
Besides how long have you been driving? I bet not long enough to master your car as it is now.

#6 ·
2 times im gonna say this in one day.. it can be done via lots of cutting and frame re-enforcement..

speed costs money how fast do you wanna go?

#7 ·
I am not actually considering doing it, I was just wondering. I know I would never need all that power, I work kids at my school who have new M3's and A4's/A6's and 1 CLK 55 through canyons and shit cuz they think there hot shit and all they know how to do is step on the gas(all of there cars are automatics cuz they are too pussy to actually DRIVE the car). So I know I Dont need all that power, I was just curious on what your opinions were on costs and stuff. The main reason why I would do it(even though I am not) is to have an INSANE sleeper car with 300+ horsepower, it would be so tight cruising around in a little E30 with people thinking that its some piece, then a pull some crazy 4.8 0-60 and fuckin smoke there asses :rock

#8 ·
Originally posted by CBA@Feb 29 2004, 07:29 PM
2 times im gonna say this in one day.. it can be done via lots of cutting and frame re-enforcement..

speed costs money how fast do you wanna go?
maybe you didnt read dude, stop being so arrogant. There are people who drop in turbo charged 350 small blocks in here and the frame can handle it.

The point was that the engine cannot handle the frame. There is far to many sensors that the engine cannot run without and that the chassis doesnt have the availability for these to operate.

#9 ·
the S54 is totally foreign to the E30 chasis, just because its a bmw engine going into a older bmw doesnt mean anything, the S54 will not understand and adapt to a e30 since it is made for a e46. however i'm almost certain the e30 frame could handle the power. the only non e46 ive seen a S54 be transplanted into was a new mini cooper :D

#10 ·
Oh..Any of you seen the pic on this forum about a month or so ago, this guy put the 750i engine into his E30, pretty crazy to have 12 cylinders roaring under the hood. Maybe the guy that showed me the pic of the E30 with an E46 engine was a fony, but still, its a nice thought to think of doing that.

#11 ·
If you have the money for it then there's only one major concern for me here. It may not apply for you beause you're probably in a place where there's hardly any snow and salt. But because I live in Canada. Most of the E30 bodies around here and even the early E36 (1992). Are slowly being eaten away by salt. So I realy do'nt know if an old E30 frame can handle a car with 333 horse power and almost 300 pounds of torque. I mean The bodies are all well over 13 years old. Even my 1991 318i's body with rust prove ever coulple of year's got some rust starting up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.