BMW Werkz banner

Upgraded Chip for e39?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  abooyeung 
#1 ·
:D
I was wondering if anyone has tried upgrading their computer chip in their E39 and what the advantages are? Higher hp, more fuel economic, higher top speed?

Is it difficult and expensive?

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
My father has a 2002 330 and opted for the Dinan software upgrade. Immediate performance all under warranty. I'm likely to try the same type upgrade for my 2000 540. I've only heard negative "don't believe the hype" comments on basic chip upgrades. All Dinan upgrades can be done directly through the dealership...not sure about the total cost.

#3 ·
Chip upgrades generally brign about 2-4 mpg, premium gas required, 15 hp, 15 lbs torque

From these forums i have learned that the Turner is the most aggresive with constant aggresion, while dinan apparently requires you to push the car a bit by flooring it to really feel the power. But this doesn't necesarily mean Turner/conforti is better.

Not difficult to install on the cars i have seen...not sure on e39

Cost on toher BMW's (e36/e34) is about $200-$250 US

#4 ·
:lol:

Thanks for the tips. I will check with my dealer here locally about the process and cost. Is this something that can be done outside of the dealer, or does it need to be tuned afterwards. By the way, anyone know if it is a chip replacement, chip addition or just a software upgrade for the E39s?

Lastly, is the additional Hp and Torque noticable during regular driving or just when you floor the gas pedal?

Thanks!

#8 ·
:thud
I called the BMW dealer today and talked with a Service Representative. She didn't seem that informed about the topic of Dinan Software upgrade. While on the phone, she seemed to be reading some sort of info page, but her bottom line was that with the Dinan software upgrade, I would gain an additional 6hp on my 2000 528i automatic at 5500rpm.

She also mentioned that with the stock software, there is a 128mph top-speed limiter on all e39s. I was wondering if this was true or not?

She also confirmed that the price would be $459+tax. Can this software upgrade be done only at the dealer or at other authorized BMW 5-star repair centers?

Is this worth it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.