BMW Werkz banner

Won't start

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  CBA 
#1 ·
My 530i wont start after I left the lights on all night. I tried to jump it but no success. I took the battery to advanced and was told I had a bad battery. After putting in the new battery I still could not get it started. I changed the spark plugs because the old ones were flooded but still it will not run. I check the engine faults by the check engine light method and all checks out fine. I checked each spark plug for fire and that was good. I pulled the new sparks and they were also wet with gas. I checked the fuses and all are good. The fuseble link is good. the battery is clean and tight. the engine starts without a sputter to even show me that it's trying to fire. When I was trying to jump it it was trying to fire but now nothing. Just a rotating engine. :dunno Please help!!!!

#2 ·
wow maybe you blew a relay, i think the engine management relay is the blue one beside your fuse box. (not sure it could be your white one) either way i suggest taking the car to the dealership. if you have checked and overchecked then i think its time to let a professional handle it.
the only other thing i can think of is, maybe you crossed your wires on the battery? i dunno its a loooonnnngg shot.

#3 ·
if he crossed polarity nothin would happen but theres a chance that if he did it coulda gone and blown up the diodes by over powering them backwards since the diodes are checkvalves to prevent power from flowing backwards. they do have a threshhold b4 they go kaaboom. and then if that happens babye ecu/pcm

how did you jump the car?

could also be a delivery prob

#4 ·
I had someone jump it from their battery. But before that I had an extra battery that I hooked to the red post and a bolt in the engine compartment. It allowed me to rev but since my battery was totally dead It did not help. The extra battery was not ina vehicle. Did that matter? It was all I had that morning. I let the battery sit in that position for ten minutes before trying again and I got just a little fire but not enough to start. I tried a few more times but that batterey eventually died as well. A friend tried to jump me off his ford mustang but I was getting no fire at all. Got a new battery and still no fire. I here the relays switching but still am not sure wich one goes to the fuel pump relay or main relay. I have a heavy fuel smell after cranking so I guess thats working. Any answers???

#5 ·
i could give you some diagnostic tips but youd end up getting lost in my words after the first sentance... my advice to you is to take it to a ecperienced technician and let him diagnose it.

#7 ·
first test the battery voltage if its anywhere below 9.6 volts toss the battery.

secondly: pop open the fuse box and individually check the fuses.

third: get your hands on a schematic or repair manual and find out where the fuel relays are. also while your at it have a look at your ignition set up (could be a bad coil)

so now if you have found your relays apply power to each one individually (youll need a schematic to see which prongs you need to light up) to see if it they click over. if the relays check out fine find your coil wire and do a ground voltage test if thats fine then. pull out the wires and hook up a plug tester to each one then individually fire away.

if all thats fine come back to me and well ponder over this some more.. lol

first sentence whaaa..

#9 ·
see last statement i made in previous post.. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.