BMW Werkz banner

Strange relay issue, stumped

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  AlbertSeely 
#1 ·
I recently bought an 85 325e(2.7 manual) because the clutch dropped to the floor. I can fix that. But I popped a battery in it and tried starting it and it wouldnt fire. So after hours of checking sensors and wires I ran a hot lead to main relay terminals 87 and 87a and 56(I think) it started up and ran pretty nicely. So I figured main relay was shot. Went and got a replacement this morning and with it in there, it wont start. So I rechecked what i did and it started again. So now im all confused on what I should do. Any help at all would be appreciated. I really want to rip this thing. Its not real pretty but it would be a fun little back road ripper. Thanks to anyone who can suggest something

#4 ·
Just checking if you resolved this problem. I'm having the same problem with my 86 325es. I had the airflow sensor off the car and started the car without it accidentally. it started and ran for about half a second. Once reinstalled it wont start. Went through all the electrical diagnosis in the Bentley manual and it all pointed to the main relay. Replaced it and it cranks but won't start. I Jumped the relay from 30 to the two 87's and it starts right up and runs fine. I tested the 86 terminal and only have 6 and a half volts. Apparently not enough to energize the relay. Does anyone have any idea what would cause the reduced voltage. all the fuses checkout, battery charged etc. The bentley does not have a schematic that shows the circuitry from the ign. switch to the main relay. I checked the FAQ and none seemed to have the same problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.