BMW Werkz banner

1999 740il owner - new member

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  brettski 
#1 ·
i have a 1999 740il that leaks power steering fluid. I have used lucas stop leak and it does not slow down or stop it from leaking.

Obviously there's a more serious problem going on here. i just need to know if anyone may know what part or parts i need to replace.

thank you.

vjnewyork13@gmail.com

#2 ·
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

Lucas stop leak will not help, at all. The power steering system uses ATF fluid and not power steering fluid. In order to fix the problem you need to know where it is leaking from. I cant tell you what you need to replace without knowing what is leaking as their are several places a leak can happen. If the hoses are all original then you will probably need to replace them. The rubber deteriorates over time. When you replace the lines make sure you replace the fluid resevoir as well. It contains a non removable filter which can become clogged over time.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Welcome to the Werkz. Enjoy your time here.

As LV said there are several hoses that attach to the PS pump body and a couple of them are know to cause issues. Not huge expense or effort to replace, but they do need attention at some point because you may find that your rear suspension uses the same system for the self levelling mechanism.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.