BMW Werkz banner

High Beam shuts off radio

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  DLL66 
#1 ·
1993 318iS. Tonight, I switched on my High Beams and the radio power went out and came on some seconds later. Also, by ABS light started flashing when the High Beams were on.

Later on, the car stuttered and radio went out again and the head lights, interior lights went dim and the battery indicator barely came on. All of sudden, everything work fine again but the automatic light stayed on.

Anybody run across anything like this?

#2 ·
Look at this a little more after I got up. Started the car up. The automatic transmission light is off. The battery light is on, but dim. I revved the engine up to 3000 rpm and it goes away. The last owner put in a brand new alternator before I bought it.

Also, I turned on the headlights and switched them to the high beams, I noticed again the ABS light was flashing. Haven't found anything on the search about that yet.

Any help or suggestions with my issues??

#3 ·
Is the alternator OEM???,,have you checked your belts?,,maybe your battery is on its way out normal battery life 5 years, although I had 11yrs out of BMW one.

#5 ·
After intensive internet research, I've found that there is a ground wire that is attached to the alternator and to the frame of the car. My ground wire was "naked" as in it didn't have a rubber outer coating and it was awfully corroded. I made a replacement ground using 8 gauge wire. By doing this, so far, it has corrected my situation.

My first BMW that I bought a week ago and I'm learning!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.