BMW Werkz banner

BMW 316i Suspicious Wires? Help?

6K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Lord Vader 
#1 ·
Hey i got a question but first of all let me just say this:

I'm a 16year old student who wants to become a mechanic, and I'm no pro at it. I'm just a ordinary 16 year old dude who is playing with his mums car :rolleyes:

The other day when I was fixing the electric window system I discovered 2 yellow plugs inside the passenger door that hit my window when its down you can hear it rattling going round corners, it's 2 yellow plugs which by the looks of it could be connected as there is a match. So I openned the driver door to check if it's got them plugs too- yes the driver door has them too but they are nicely connected and tucked so their not allover the place. The ones on the other side are too short to connect and some wires connected to one of the yellow plugs has been cut :conf

So yeah could some one explain what they are? Give me a brief overview of whats going on ?

Here is the passenger door plugs that I'm concerned about:

And here is the driver door:

Please feel free to post any thing that would be useful for me :)

See less See more
#8 ·
Can't open the door panel any more as i gave the 'star tool' back ( the like a screw driver but with like a star at the end :D ) as they weren't my tools,

And doesn't this help you to identify what it is? as it tells me nothing :)

#4 ·
I always thought the yellow connector was for the airbag. What year is this? Have you traced the wiring to the where it goes?

#6 ·
@koason
I don't want it doing I've been driving with it for over 2 years like that..
It's just that I've opened the door to see that it is and the i discovered these and just want a rough out like of what they are and what they do...

@Lord Vader
This a 17 year old car from 1995, and not really. I've only looked at it and didn't wanna fiddle with it, all i know is that the bottom yellow plug is stuck a bit behind the window system so it cannot connect to the other yellow plug and that the bottom plug has some wires cut opened.

#7 ·
You don't have to fiddle with it, but follow the wires to see where they originate.

And ignore that koasan guy, he's just a spammer.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Yes that helped... but since our central locking system was broken and the mechanic has made a bypass to be able to start the car with out the electronics and the car does not lock with a click of the button. Now you have to turn the key in the lock, to lock all the door or unlock them. To do that he said he had to turn the car alarm off too :( and he charged us £230 :O

But then you say
Yellow tells the centtral locking to unlock all the other doors when you turn the key.
And my yellow plug is disconnected, and when i turn the key in that door everything works fine? :S

#12 ·
That makes sense now. But when you turn the key ALL the doors lock/unlock?

How the central locking system works is when you turn the key in one door, it sends a signal to the ZKE (central module) to unlock ALL the doors. All the doors can be unlocked mechanically should the ZKE fail. It just means that only that one door will unlock.

If your central locking system was broken it would have been cheaper to replace the ZKE module of figure out why it wasn't working then bypass it. It's normal for a door actuator or micro switch to fail. I know this as the acutator in my drivers door failed. A new actuator is $80 CDN. When one of the actuators or micro switches fails it will cause issues with the whole system. On a sedan their are 6 acutators. One for each door, the trunk, and the fuel door.

#13 ·
Yes, when i put a key in that door all other doors unlock :S same with the driver door where the plugs are connected. :S So now I'm confused.

And yes maybe it would be cheaper to get ZKE but i never know whats happening, and it was a new mechanic to us, so he spotted a good opportunity to make good money, and we just got ripped off.

#14 ·
Well if all the doors unlock when you unlock the drivers door your Central Locking system is working. It's odd though based on that disconnected wire.

#16 ·
Well I checked the Bentley Manual but the pictures are in black ad white so it's hard to see

The Bentley Manual is available as a PDF download in the E36 section. Door locks and components are covered in section 515.

#17 ·
By the looks of it looking at Bentley Manual its a 'Retaining Pin Locking Clip'. When I spotted that plug it did look like wit was going to the door handle as the motor is near enough on the other side of the door... im looking at the Bentley Manual BMW 3 Series Service Manual downloaded from this forum pages 351 / 759 .

#20 ·
Ignore him. He's just a spammer. They pop up once in a while. I wish I could delete that stuff cause it's annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.