BMW Werkz banner

Hi, 1994 bmw 325i, engine overheating.

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  leija16 
#1 ·
First of all Hello im a new member.
And MY engine overheats. The the story is This is my first car, i bought it of from friend, runs amazing, and best of all its manual, and it has 214k miles on it. Now lets move on to the problem, About 2 months ago Me and my friend were driving my car, and by the time we got to his house, steering wheel suddenly started to feel so stiff. Then we were like wtf, we open the hood, and saw The belt came of, so we were like demn. So my friend told me to leave my car at his house, because his friend is mechanic and will put the belt on. But 2 weeks passed on nothing, so i told my friend ill drive it to my house, with no serpentine belt. My house was about 10-15 minutes away, so i drove all the way to my house, did not exceed speed of 40 mph, by the time i got to my house Check Engine light poped out, it happened before, so i was like ok.. I opened the hood, and it was little steaming from a coolant tank, and a little bit of antifreeze came out. So i did a little research how to replace serpentine belt on e36. It took me about 1 month to do it, because i had go online and buy additional items, such as pulleis, and air hoses because they had holes in them. After sturgglin for a month, i finally had it, I put on new Serpentine belt, New pullies, New ac BElt, i also replaced New coolant tank. In order to put on serpentine belt, i Took off whole air filter box, the hoses, radiator, fan. Also i spilled all antifreeze out from radiator and put this new antifreeze designed for bmw. So literally today i put everything back together, Also my battery died, so i had to wait for my dads car to recharge it, And today for the first 1 month or so i started, and was kind of proud of my self, but not for too long, i had it running from a cold start for about 10 minutes, and the temp gauge went to all the way to the middle i waited for couple minutes and it kept rising so i turned car of, i tried to start it on second time but couldn't because the battery died again, maybe the battery is too old. So I opened the hood, i smelled the unusual smell, like something was burning. I checked the oil, oil seemed usual color. Btw Serpetine belt seems to work good everything fan power alt, is running. So im confused right now, Things im worried about Why my battery died so fast, and Why my engine overheats? Sorry for this long sttory, but any help would be appreciated like ALOT. Im aslo probably will take it to mechanic to check, btw speeking of mechanic any have any suggestion i like in Stamford, CT, any mechanics that have good experience with bmw e36 that you know of.
Kthnxu

See less See more
#6 ·
Sounds like you have a air pocket stuck in your motor you need to drain the anti freeze out and open the bleed screw on the resevior and then refill and watch all the bubble and air come out close it back up then start you car wait for it to get to normal temp then open the bleed srew back open and top off coolant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.