BMW Werkz banner

smoke from exhaust?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jack Dabsy 
#1 ·
So I just finished installing an aa track pipe, I've never had issues with smoke from the exhaust but now every now and then when I decelerate to a stop it will spit out a decent amount of grey/white smoke. What's the deal?

#3 ·
so here is what I've gathered,

no smoke present upon cold start
after it warmed up to operating temperature i shut it off and let it sit for about 10 mins. Started it back up and there was a split second of smoke, just a quick puff.

It only smokes when I'm coming off the throttle to a stop or slightly when I pull away from a stop. When I'm pulling away though its barely noticeable and neither one is consistent.

Never is the smoke present at regular idle.

This should be noted as well, I opened up my oil cap and there where light white vapors coming out, along with that a very faint smell of gas.

#4 ·
Listen carefully... Initially, I would suspect the head gasket, however... Yours seems intermittant !
Is it definately grey-white or is it grey-light blue?
Grey-white would suggest coolant in the cylinder(s)...
Grey-blue may suggest valve stem-seal(s)...

Usually, a failed gasket will track from a cylinder to either an oilway or coolantway, but it is not impossible for a head gasket to fail across the oil and coolant ! This could cause the coolant to vapourise in the breather-pipes before it re-enters the engine to be burnt once again !!!
This is just a thought my friend and I hope this helps...

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies,

Still smoking every now and then upon stopping. Like I said no smoke at start up at idle. Think it could be worn valve stem seals or guides? It's about time to change out my spark plugs, I'll be doing a compression test along with them. Oh and the smoke color is blue, so it has to be oil that's getting in some how.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.