BMW Werkz banner

1991 e-30, 318

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Skoontz 
#1 ·
Hi all, new to this forum...I'm hoping someone can give me some reference points here...first, I have vast mechanical abilities, my family owned a marina when I was a kid, so, I kjnow two strokes very well, and we used to race hydroplanes. now we are running NHRA events because its just a lot easier...All that said, my daughter has a 91 318 is just like the title.says. Great car, about 85,000 miles on it. She is a good stick shift driver, no riding the clutch etc etc....Car was all OK, and yesterday while driving home the clutch went from little free pedal, to almost 3/4 of the way down to the floor before it starts to disengage. The cafr is still partially engaged with the foot all the way on the floor...I noticed this has a hydraulic clutch, which I never liked anyway, but it is what it is....
Can you give me a reference point tpo start looking on how to get the pedal back up, or, is this just what they do when the clutch is nearly gone? This would be a pisser, because I just replaced a driveshaft, motor ansd tranny mounts. Any help will be rewarded with my 61 cubic inch wire top bottle of 6.3% blonde ale...Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
To be honest, it could be a pedal issue but you would need to know when the clutch was last changed !!
You can revive the pedal ratchet by releasing the spring and then gently pressing it back to the floor...
If this doesn't cure it then please get back to me as there may be another option before replacing the clutch plate...

#3 ·
Dont kn ow when the last time the clutch was changed, we are the third owner, second owner was my step son, and I know he did not do a clutch job. I'll check the clutch ratchet, and niether the slave cylinder, or the clutch master cylinder are leaking. I did see the brake fluid chamber was low, low enough to where the inlet hose for the clutch master was above the brake fluid. We bkled it out already and there were no air bubbles. I would think that typically, when a clutch was worn to the point where it was slipping, the pedal would disengage all the way at the top before it slipped. But, the creation of a free pedal effect like with a mechanical linkage would tel me there is a cylinder/master/hose issue, but, maybe I'm way off base here....Thanks for the response, I'll do the ratchet thing and see what happens.
\

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.