BMW Werkz banner

97 528 need to crank 3 times to start?????

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  westin 
#1 ·
i recently got the car when it sits for more than two or three hours car doesn't start right way i have crank 3 times every time on the third time it fires up and runs great no codes stored checked fuel pressure the pump primes at 40 psi but still doesn't start . there was no pressure in the rail when i hooked up the gauge car was sitting over night.if any body has any idea what could it be. the car runs fine once it starts no idle problem any input greatly appreciated. i`m not to familiar with e39s

#3 ·
If you turn the key to position II (where the fuel pump runs for 2 seconds and then stops) but don't actually crank the engine over, repeat the process twice does the engine start any differently? If it does fire up after the second or third cycle, I'd look at the pressure reg which bleeds excess fuel back to the fuel tank, its probably leaking (internally) so the fuel rail is loosing its pressure slowly. Might be something else, but its worth a look.

#6 ·
brettski i tried the switching the key like you said no luck , but let the 3 time thing its not a set number it will start with lees turns or 1 or to more but so far 3 has been the amount that i had to turn it , i `ll check the regulator and gatsby if could give me any info on fuel symptoms and how could i remedy it. thanks the reply both

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.