BMW Werkz banner

E 39 530i Stalling

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  divito 
#1 ·
I have recently purchased a 2001 E39 530i. Great car but there is one problem. I will be sitting stationary at a set of traffic lights and I start to accelerate away and the car will stall on me. This does not happen all the time. I have taken the vehicle to a mechanic and typically, the vehicle does not come up with any codes as the vehicle is operating normally. Any ideas?????

Shane
Australia

#4 ·
Does this 'intermittent' problem become more frequent since driving? Changes are that this could be due to a IDC - idle control valve - that needs cleaning or replacing . Does the car idle rough at all? How's your gas mileage also? Please check back with some answers to the questions - so I may better assist you two gentlemen- .

#5 ·
Stalling 530i

G'day mate,
I believe the problem for my car was the Intake Camshaft Position Sensor. It is about $160 Australian dollars and very easy to replace. just down load the manual from this site. Since the replacement I have not had any problems.

#7 ·
hi m8 i hope its the Camshaft Position Sensor and noyhing else let me no m8 its a bummer coz it can be ok for weeks then do it again so dont want to change that and a day or weeks later it does it again so let me no m8 if it ever does it again hope it doesnt for u and me m8 :p

#9 ·
Thought id post here instead of making new post, i got my 535i 2000 a few weeks ago, fine car to drive, for 2 weeks i had just drove to work and back, only 3 miles each way so had only done 60 miles total and the car was fine, no hint of trouble then today i did my first major ish journey in her, 80 miles each way round the m25 and a13 to sunny southend.
Anyway, bombing down the motorway no trouble, awesome cruiser, power there when i needed it etc, so i hit southend pulled up outside brothers, no probs, got back in the car an hour later and drove further into southend at a slow pace and the car kept stalling, 4 times in 30 minutes, so coming back bit later i kept my eye on the rev counter and around town before i got on the dual carriageway it stalled again a few times, it seemed to be when it was changing down from either 3rd to second or 2nd to first couldnt tell which change it was but it was when i was coming to a full stop at lights etc and every stop it went down to 0 revs but if i was lucky it would bounce back up to 1000 and keep running, but hitting the motorway back it was fine on the long run @ speed but when i got back into town it happend a few more times, lastly as i was pulling up my drive, does anybody know please what this problem may be ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.