BMW Werkz banner

Oil Leak at base of dipstick

18K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Nazarite01 
#1 ·
Hello folks. I have posted this on E46 fanatics and posting it here as well.
I need expert help, please.
I have 325i 2002 vintage, manual. It sprung a leak recently kind of weird: oil get pushed from the oil pan through the o-ring of the dipstick tube. First I thought I damaged that o-ring last year when I was replacing CCV. So I went and replaced that o-ring again. To my amazement, after about 3 minutes of idling at various rpm I saw oil bubbling there again. OK, I disconnected CCV return oil line from the dipstick tube, took clean clear tubing, stuck it into the drain pipe an blew air with my mouth, be careful with assumptions: I have clean clear plastic line between my mouth and drain line. Basically, I checked if there are any obstructions in the line. No everything went fine air blows inside with very little effort. I started engine and, without connecting drain line, of course no pressure inside oil pan, so no oil leak, from drain line after a few minutes starts coming some steam, like if you have oil cap off. Seems normal.
My next step in troubleshooting was disconnect line from valve cover to CCV. OK, start engine, wait, no oil leak. OK it does make sense.
My last step in troubleshooting was disconnect lines from the rail above intake manifold to CCV and check them for obstruction. The interesting that I was able to duplicate oil leak just with pressure from my lungs, just by blowing air into the one port of CCV valve, while plugging other port with my thumb.
Well, that how I deduced, that all lines and CCV are clear of any obstacles.
Then good question; why excess pressure form inside the engine didn't get into intake manifold? Does it mean that engine has insufficient vacuum on intake? But than OBDII should through warning light, right?
Any way, I am puzzled and asking for piece of collective wisdom. Does any one has a suggestion?
Sincerely,
Mark

See less See more
#4 ·
Oil leak at base of dip stick

Relevant,
I am having the same problem you described. You said you just replaced the o-ring, was it the same print of the dip stick or was it a different one?. I replaced the one on the dip stick but it is still not stop leaking. What did you mean it was the o-ring? What o-ring?

Thank you

#5 ·
There is an "o-ring at the base of the dip-stick tube, this serves TWO pruposes -
1 - To hold the tube (in most cases where a locking shim is not there).
2 - To seal it.

Installion - Pull the tube, remove old o-ring and thoroughly clean it, and it's mating faces on the block. Smear the area with a little fresh oil and replace new o-ring. Guide the tube in slowly !!

#6 ·
I did so. But it is still spitting oil. It seem that their is some pressure in the oil pan. I sound just like the problem RELEVART was speaking about. He said he used a lathe to press some o-ring. I am trying to find out if we are speaking of the same o-ring. I did clean the area of the o-ring on the base as you remarked, but i still get oil. do I have to press the o-ring in?? I am thinking of changing the CCV and its hoses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.