BMW Werkz banner

E38 728i steering lock problem

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  wheresmykeys 
#1 ·
Last week i swapped cars with my friend who is a mechanic so he could service my 728i. After getting my car back i realised when removing my key from the ignition that i no longer have a steering lock!

I know that wheels were removed to check brakes and am wondering if anything my friend did could have caused this problem. I realise it could also just be a coincidence that this happened just after my service.

Has anyone out there experienced loss of steering lock or have an idea as to how this may have occurred?

#2 ·
I am not sure if its possible to force the ignition if the engine stops to restart the motor without rotating back to off and then back on? If you rotate the wheel once the ignition is in the locked position does it make any sorts of noise, like a click or similar?

#3 ·
No it doesn't make any noise when rotating the wheel. This issue has been puzzling me since friday when i got my car back. But today, as strangely as it appeared, the problem has now disappeared and the steering lock works perfectly as if there had never been a problem!

I am of course happy that it's working, but still a bit concerned as to what may have caused this and whether this could happen again - or worse still, if the steering lock came on when the car was in motion.

Thanks for your reply Brettski, I will keep an eye on this and try to find out why it happened in the first place.

#4 ·
It could be that part of the locking mechanism is sticky and not falling into position as it should. The fix may be as simple as spraying some sort of cleaner or lube into the ignition, although I'd seek further advice before doing this.

#6 ·
Remove the bottom cowel of the steering column and give the area around the barrel a spray with some WD40 or similar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.