BMW Werkz banner

2001 740i radio/nav

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TheCEO 
#1 ·
Im Looking at picking up a 01 740 i, noticed that the wide screen display doesnt light up. the radio will play for alittle while then cuts off you have to turn off the radio then turn it back on, but it still goes out. any ideas??????/ Also is this sight for 3 & 5 series folks?

#2 ·
Welcome to the Werkz.
Good to see another 7 member. It could be that the backlighting on the dispay is out. You can check this by getting a bright light onto the display and see if there is anything in the background.

All sort of models are represented on this site. Enjoy your time here.

#3 ·
I have the same issue with my 2001 740iL. I was told that this was a problem with that year as it's the 1st year for the GPS which runs through the radio. It has been speculated that switching out the radio to a new system (from a BEST BUY or similar) will correct the problem as it's the unit not the wiring. Any thoughts?

#10 ·
#11 ·
I have a 99 740i w/nav and I get not only what u describe, but.....THE WORST STATIC NOISE ever heard this side of a sasquatch during mating season. My god, the first time it happened I thought someone was shooting at me. The absolute worst problem. There's no cure. I changed out the ignition switch per another BMW forum, still happened. I'm not about to drop the $$$$ fro a logic7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.