BMW Werkz banner

Pre-Purchase 840Ci Inspection Tips

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kai 
#1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing a 1997 840Ci with 50,000 miles. It is a one owner, nonsmoker owner and never used in winter. I would appreciate any tips on what I should look for when inspecting the car. What are the weak points of this car? Are there any up coming major maintance items? Any thoughts on the fair value of the car would also be appreciated. Thanks for your input.

#3 ·
Book value for the car is around $20,000, fair $18,000 and excellent $21,000. I would say a reasonable value by the book for the one you are looking at is $19,000 to $20,000. It only came in auto so do like ws said and see about the ATF. For that much money and on a low mileage vehicle complete service records should be included, or almost complete. Best of luck with the purchase. Be sure to get it checked out by a dealership prior to purchasing, or find a good reliable independent with a great reputation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.