BMW Werkz banner

E39 Common Problems List

12K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  pamato 
#1 ·
Thanks Sooner, for the list of common problems.

I just couldn't help checking off the list of what I've already been thru' with mine so far. From the list alone, I scored a 7 out of 16. And that's not including what's not on the list! That is BADD! :thumbsdown

#2 ·
Some things like the cupholders that suck are common to everyone, but not a serious problem. There are serveral aftermarket cupholders available from various suppliers at various suppliers. I previously ordered one of the $20 from Bavauto that attaches on the map pocket of the door and painted it to match but I decided I needed something better. I just orderd one of those $80 mechanical ones that fits in the small compartment in the center console. I just hope it's worth the money. B)
The air conditioning smell is another thing but it only seems noticable to me at the end of the summer when not using the a/c compressor. I usually shoot some lysol into the air ducts from the intake side while it is running on high to kill off any mold/mildew. I do that each spring and each fall and it seems to help a lot.

#3 ·
Yes, I saw that cupholder on the net somewhere. It's kinda neat and folds into the small compartment when not in use. Please let me know how it works out for you, it's a little too expensive though for a cupholder.

As for the AC smell, I only have it the first few seconds when it's turned on. In a minute, there is no smell anymore.

#5 ·
Originally posted by dave528@Oct 13 2003, 11:37 AM
If you are talking about the T.E.C. cupholder it is awsome. I bought one about two months ago...
Yes. Just put mine in and it's great. Nearly $100 after shipping and all so it seems hard to justify but it's designed really cool.

#7 ·
Originally posted by alanh@Oct 13 2003, 10:40 PM
hey sooner where is the place you spray the lysol in? not the intake i hope.
I take out the cabin microfilters and with the fan on high, I lightly spray some mist in there, not drench it, to help kill mildew in the system. I usually close off the middle air ducts and open the doors so it will blow out the sides of the dash without blowing into the interior.

#9 ·
Originally posted by alanh@Oct 14 2003, 05:48 PM
i'm still cofused on where you spray it in...
Under the hood at the base of the windshield, in each corner is a black box. It's about 6inches by 10inches. Those are where the microfilters for the interior air are located. (They should be replaced about every 30,000 miles although mine had their first replacement at 50K) Anyway, remove the black cover, remove the air filter underneath it, and while the air conditioning is running on high, you will be able to tell which hole underneath there is sucking in air by putting your hand down there. Lightly spray the lysol to the hole sucking the air in. Keep it as a mist- you dont want to have a puddle of it accumulate inside.

#10 ·
This is just my opinion on the TEC, its cool factor is awsome, but for other than 12 ounce cans, it falls down a little bit. With Drinks, you need to move the slideing console to hold them from falling backward.

Try the ultimatecupholders.com, I put 2 in and the handle everything well.

just not as "cool"

Thanks,
Eticket

#12 ·
:banghead

I don't know why or what the engineer at BMW can't design a better cupholder.

If I have a full size drink or full bottle H2O in the cupholder, when I turn just little too fast they all fall off from the cupholder to my seat or floor.. I don't understand why can't they design somthing better. Why can't they just turn the arm rest into a cupholder.. who ever design inside of BMW should "let go" or "fired".

#13 ·
Originally posted by brokenbat@Dec 6 2003, 04:32 PM
TEC cupholder rocks. Just make sure the little pins that stick up where the base of the cup sits doesn't puncture a styrofoam cup.
It's hard to believe that a $100 cupholder can be worth it but it really is. that cupholder is AWESOME and sorta funky-cool-techno. :rock

#16 ·
But to get back on the topic.... I am starting to notice some small problems that other owners experience...like for example, recently my seat started to move when I brake. I know that has been a problem. Of course, one of the cup holders is gone...Thats about it so far...lets hope it stays that way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.