BMW Werkz banner

Need Info/History Report on my Car!

2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  CanadianWraith 
#1 ·
I've got a '97 328i and I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a history report, list of options, how many owners, ect. I got the paper from under the backseat it helps a bit but this curiosity is killing me! I'd get a carfax, but I don't find it worth $30... if anyone could help me out with any info post or PM ;)

Link to VIN: Here!

#6 ·
Carfax is over priced and not always accurate, there is a better company that car dealers use, especially used car dealers, call one of them and get the name, they would probably hook you up for a couple bucks. Or you can go to BMW, they traced mine all the way back to Germany, but it's only info pertaining to the cars dealings with BMW i.e. maintenance, not owners.

#8 ·
Honestly that isn't a very good point at all. I don't know what your deal is but your logic is asinine $30 for a print out that says someone registered the car in California back in '02 is way overpriced, it has nothing to do with affording maintenance on a car, even if it's a BMW.

#10 ·
Mr smooth. The point that went over your head is that he is driving a car that costs between $80-$100 just to change the oil. Service 1 or 2 is hundreds of dollars. If he is so strapped that he cannot spend $30 for the info on his car that he needs or wants, he cannot afford to drive a bmw. Make sense now. It is nice that you know the word asinine, however it is not applicable in this case. Here comes the ban stick.

#11 ·
Again I disagree, and where are you going for you oil changes? The dealership? Try an independent BMW shop- free tip for you, same service, a lot less money. I am glad you were impressed by asinine, like it is some sort of complicated word, the definition matches your statement "below average rationality". The point to be made is carfax is overpriced, it has nothing to do with owning and maintaining a BMW.

#12 ·
The point to be made is carfax is overpriced, it has nothing to do with owning and maintaining a BMW.
Well, I hate to tell you, but the money I spent for one month worth of free car fax reports saved me and a buddy of mine from buying some disaster cars.

I first also thought is was pricey (at least for ONE report), but if you are seriously looking for an older used car, it was the best money I spent in a long time.

Happy driving fellows

#14 ·
So now you can understand my point. Whether it be 1 or many carfax, if he cannot spring $30 for something so simple as a carfax he cannot afford a bmw. I go to an independant bmw shop that charges $68 for an oil change. Castol gtx 20w50. No synthetic recommended for my e34. His 1997 3 series probably requires synthetic which will cost more. Hence, if he will not spend $30 for a carfax, which incidentally should be run before purchasing a car, he cannot afford an oil change. Get it. Thanks to wernermeister for getting it.

#15 ·
No, your point is still useless, the guy asking about his car history never once said he can't afford it, he said he doesn't find $30 WORTH it. Big difference. I could buy a brand new bimmer cash and I don't want to spend $30 on a piece of paper that may not even have usefull info. Just because he is tying to save money doesn't mean he doesn't have any.

Regardless. My opinion, single carfax is overpriced, month long carfax for multiple cars is good, carfax info can be hit and miss- either very usefull or completely useless but usually still interesting.

Good luck finding your car's history. Like I said before try calling a used car dealer and useing the company they go through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.