BMW Werkz banner

help 1987 325e 2.7 5spd

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  FCPGroton 
#1 ·
recently acquired my first bimmer for $1300,(1987 325e 6cyl) overall in good shape, 182k. i've put in a new fuel filter, last owner just did platinum plugs. When i start the car and say hold the rev at 3000 rpm it will drop to 2700 and go back up and repeat, same flux happens at idle speed. Any ideas? also, manual crank sunroof is incomplete but rails spin, the black clips move up and down the rails but are broken on one side and missing on the other. I want to put a salvage roof in, do you have to remove headliner to remove the tracks that go into the roof of the car. any feed back helps thanks, jeff

#2 · (Edited)
1) platinum plugs DO NOT work well for this bimmer series. Whe you can i suggest you revert back to the factory specified copper core plugs.

2) what about air filter? clean?

3) there's no reason for u to rev your engine at 3000rpm when stationary for extended periods of time, and there is a rev limiter circuit in place that will keep ur engine from overshooting it's limits, depending on how your engine sensors feed info to the injection brain(DME/ECU).

** in place of stationary revving... do the driveability test instead. take the car out for a drive and run it to 3000rpm in gear(load). if it pulls cleanly. you are OK! ;)

erratic idle (say +/- 750rpm) - now that's a different issue. if the idle is unstable, your frst line of suspect will be dirty ICV, MAF meter, and throttle body. Clean those parts first with carb cleaner and re-test before thinking that parts are faulty.

:)

#7 ·
The cold does play a big part in the issue. I don't see why everyone has problems with there plugs, I've got iridium platy 4's and they havn't caused me any trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.