BMW Werkz banner

Lots of heat underneath driver side!!!

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  325isBMW1988 
#1 ·
First off I just bought a 1998 328i.

After driving for a good 20 minutes I will start to feel tons of heat coming from underneath by dash on the driver's side. Right now my a/c wont work and when I put on just regular air it fluctuates from fast to slow.

I dont know if my air and a/c problem is causing the heat coming from my driver's side or not but if you guys could help me out i would greatly appreciate it! The heat gets so bad sometimes that it makes me sweat :conf

#2 ·
That's strange, because I just bought a 98 328i, and I looked through the service records and one of the things the car was taken to the dealer for was excessive heat blowing from under the dash! The dealer couldn't pinpoint the problem, and I don't notice it, so apparently the problem went away on it's own:) Maybe you will be so lucky!

#12 ·
is it doing this on it's own? like with out you hitting any buttons? does the screen go dim?

If the climate control unit is doing anything without you pushing buttons this might help you. I did this fix on my car a couple years ago.

Richard's Web Site

also regardless of what the temperature is set to, the top dial by the top vent will control hotness or coolness of the air. It controls the heater valve.

#13 ·
the climate control doesnt start by itself or anything like that. the controls seem fine and it shows that it stays at the air speed i put it to but the air comes out of the vents different speeds.

and the top temperature dial is set all the way to cold....maybe i need to check out my heater valve? and where can i find out how to do this? :conf

#14 ·
Pelican Technical Article: BMW Heater Valve Cleaning/Flushing

that link should help you find it.

the heater valve basically diverts coolant to pass through the heater core, the radiant heat from the heater core is what heats the air that flows through the vents. If you're having heat all the time then the valves could be stuck open allowing coolant to flow through heater core no matter what. I forget which hoses are which, maybe real oem has a diagram of it. It's a bitch to remove and or replace, but an easy way to check would be to warm up the car and feel the hoses by the heater valve, one or two should remain cold if there isn't coolant flowing through the heater core, if they're all hot then you know there's coolant flowing through the heater core even with the dial turned to cold. I hope this makes sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.