BMW Werkz banner

Power lost sometimes.

2K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  sPoNgE-SA 
#1 ·
:conf Hozit...I drive a 318i sportspack 2002 model.The timing sencors on the camshaft and crank died about 6 months ago,after about R5500 thats about 900$ it were replaced.The car was its old self again.Nowadays its losing power when the revs go between 3000 and 3500 rpm..its not all the time,just sometimes...the dealers can't find any problem with it:rolleyes:and its frustrating the hell out of me.The car feels like when a spark plug died when its doing this.Can anybody help me please..i'm out of ideas.:shifty

#5 ·
Maybe a coil pack faulty, gets hot and intermittently cuts in and out,what I would do is pull the all the plugs and see if one is different from the rest, then get back to me.

#7 · (Edited)
Also worth a look, splits or leaks on the air intake hoses and the normal culprit MAF.

You could try resetting the adaptations to the DME and EGS.

#9 ·
The DME or ECU is your car,s electronic brain and the EGS is the gearboxes brain, they basically learn your driving style, I rest mine after the wife has been driving, you can guess why, but you do need diagnostics for this as I don't know if the battery reset works?.

The MAF is an Air flow Meter situated between your air box and throttle body, with an electric connector from it, this some times gets dirty and needs a clean, goolge search should help you on that, rather than me write a whole page on it!! also you may want to give the throttle body a clean whilst your at it, Brake cleaner is the preferred method.

#10 ·
Alright i know what you're talking about..wasn't sure about the meaning of what u have suggested because i don't own a workshopmanual for the car.Had the car at the agents the other day,done diagnostics but couldn't find anything.I personally think it's something rather small causing the problem,like you've siad maybe dirt in the connections..i will let you know.

#14 ·
What can that been cleaned with?

A can of carb cleaner 3 damn good blasts should sort the MAF, if the MAF's ok that is ?

Yes you can allow the throttle to move.

#17 ·
If it performs better in the cold its deffo your MAF is giving the wrong reading when the weather is warmer, so I would say your looking at a new MAF shortly, as for having the ASC off not a good idea, but I dont really know why this should make a difference.

#18 ·
Jees this problem is so intermittent I actually think sometimes I hope so much for it to stop that my mind thinks it has but it hasn't. It did it again today. I'm still sure it better in the cold. Let me monitor it for a few more days. Going to clean the MAF and throttle tomo. Might have a look at the ICV at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.