BMW Werkz banner

common issues with e39 540i ?

24K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  marti5 
#1 ·
My son just bought his '98 540i. The car has 119k miles, and has been systematically maintained by the book, with a full maintenance history by BMW. Its appearance matches its care. Looking through the maintenance history, I see several replacements of 3 items, 1) the valve cover gaskets (for seepage), 2) the cam position sensor, and 3) the thermostat. Are these types of component failures common? It seems that periodic, preemptive replacements of the thermostat and cps might be in order. Thoughts?

#2 ·
Around about the 100k mark yes, also:

Waterpump

Radiator

Expansion tank

coolant pipes, esp the little one at the rear of the heads.

PCV valve at the rear of the intake manifold ( if all of a sudden you get a puff of smoke out of the exhaust dont panic its this valve)

Viscous coupling

Thats most of the common ones plus the ones that have been already done, also get the gearbox serviced if its an auto even though there is a sticker saying "life time sealed" this means BM warranty time which is 100k, so get it done, fluid and filter, if you are a diy'er I have instructions.

Sorry if I have put you off but you need to know.

Now tell your son to enjoy driving the Ultimate Machine, Once bitten forever smitten.

#7 ·
Hmmm.....I've been trying to find a pcv valve replacement either via pelican or rockauto and can not find one. Is this a dealer only part?

Thanks;

Mike

#3 ·
Hi Marti5;

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I am a DIYer. Your instructions concerning the trans service would be greatly appreciated (sending a PM).

Is the Bimmer viscous coupling available somewhere for less than a megabuck? My 928 could use a (very expensive Porsche) unit too, but I've been able to keep it cool and defer it, by not running A/C.

Thanks....

#5 ·
Just to add to Marti's list, these are common boo-boo's as well if not already replaced:

o2 sensors
MAF sensor
Oil separator
Control arm bushings

#6 ·
Don't forget the valley pan gasket...

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, it is a dealer part although I did see one on Ebay last month, its not expensive, I just bought one for mine and it cost £43.00 from the dealer, which is the best way to go you know you have the correct genuine one and it will fit perfectly and work.

# 2 in the diagram, although it shows seprerate parts in the diagram, they now come as a complete unit and make sure you buy the gasket too #10

RealOEM.com   BMW E39 540i Intake manifold system

#9 ·
Yes, it is a dealer part although I did see one on Ebay last month, its not expensive, I just bought one for mine and it cost £43.00 from the dealer, which is the best way to go you know you have the correct genuine one and it will fit perfectly and work.

# 2 in the diagram, although it shows seprerate parts in the diagram, they now come as a complete unit and make sure you buy the gasket too #10

RealOEM.com * BMW E39 540i Intake manifold system
Thanks for that info...as I couldn't find the pcv anywhere.

On your second bit of information; are you saying that the back cover of the intake must be replaced along with the pcv, or must be removed to attach the pcv? It kind of seems like at the least, the rear cover may have to come off to attach the pcv fitting.

Thanks

#10 ·
The rear cover is part of the PCV, as said it now comes as a complete unit as in pic #13 & 14, this is also how you do it, your may differ slightly, mine did as in the 2 yellow bits apart from that its the same. This is for a 740i but the engines are the same.

Rear Manifold Cover aka. OSV | BMW 740iL | Magnum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.