BMW Werkz banner

suspension/handling question

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SHAHAB323IS 
#1 ·
Question: This car is new to me- so i can't compare with past performance, but when you hit bumps in the road- the car tends to "float" side to side. Could this be a torsion bar, bushings?? I just had a mechanical inspection, and passed with no problem. Any idea what ishould be looking into?:help

#3 ·
A torsion bar, or twist beam is a semi independent rear suspension for front wheel drive cars. (It consists of trailing arms with the torsion beam running between a short distance back from the pivot point). BMW's have, of course, rear wheel drive with multi link, independent back suspension. If this is happening in the back, I'd have a look at the trailing arm and any lateral arm bushings. If it's the front, I'd start with the lower control arm bushings.

#4 ·
Sounds like the rear trailing arm bushings are shot.....this is what happen with my car, whenever I hit bumps the rear end of my car would shift side to side....found this link & replaced the RTAB's & problem was solved....

Symptoms of bad trailing arm bushings include side movement of the rear end under acceleration, general looseness of the rear over bumps, and abnormal tire wear. These bushings will start wearing out after about 50,000mi, give or take. As you'll see in this DIY, I made a special puller/press tool for dealing with this stubborn bushing, but it wasn't good enough for removal. So I had to go butcher style, which is an option many choose instead of paying out your ass for the tool

BMW E36 RTAB Without Special Tools

E36 RTAB DIY with BMW Tools w/ or w/o GC shims - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

johnny,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.