BMW Werkz banner

Viberation on the steeringwheel

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jmo69 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a BMW 318i from 1992 and since I purchased it I have a viberation on my steering wheel when I push the brake pedal. In the beginning my steering wheel started viberating at speeds above 50 kilometres an hour so I decided to go to the BMW dealer. He removed the disc's from my front brakes and made them flat again. He was confident that both disc's were 100% flat and smooth now and told me the problem was probably gone now. So I took my car back home and indeed, the viberation at a constant speed above 50 km/h was gone but still if I slam the brakes my steering wheel starts viberating like a puppy. Does anyone have any idea of what might be a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

#3 ·
I had something similar

I drive a 97 328i and once I started braking from speeds greater then 50 mph it would vibrate. Took it in and turns out my rotors were warped so depending on how old they were you can have them resurfaced or replaced. In your case I recomend replacing them because its rather affordable and you won't have to worry about it for awhile. Now my car brakes like a champ and no more vibration.

#4 ·
hi mike,
i also have one of the first e36's 92' registered. the problem with your vibration is not an easy one to source if it still has all of its factory fitted components i had a vibration exactly like yours (annoying i know) also my car had the tendency to pull itself all over the road like it was trying to dance. but i can get hold of parts at trade prices so started replacing certain components first was the brakes (rear and front) new discs, pads, drums, shoes, slave cylinders etc........ it had made it a little better then came the new lower wishbones and body mounts (better still) then suspension (better still) but the one of the biggest causes of the vibration was a knackard wheel bearing !!!! (get them checked first) i also had 4 wheel aligning done wheels balanced etc........ the thing is that a 92' e36's drivetrain, bushes and mounts will all be very worn (due to age) and will need replacing! so go off my list and start renewing parts starting with bearings and wheel balancing first this should almost eliminate all problems with old bmw driveability.

regards, paul

#5 ·
Lower control arm bushings can cause vibrations on braking. Here's a link to a DIY, at least you'll be able to check them. u n d e r s t e e r . c o m
Not trying to be a smartass, but you don't sound very mechanically inclined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.