BMW Werkz banner

Help My Dash Has gone Mental

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  marti5 
#1 ·
Hi there

I have a 525tds touring which Ihave owned about 8 months, in the last week here in devon and across the uk we have had some interesting whether i.e snow and a fair bit of it.

Well after a trip out in the snow the dash on my car started to go mental the spedo was jumping fron 0mph to 50mph and then back to 0mph the odometer had turned its self off completly and the fuel and temp gauges were reading either zero or bouncing like the speedo.

well I got home and turn the ignition off then on again this appeared to reset it but the problem has persisted and can either happen as described above or the dash just shuts down completely I need help as I believe its down to a plug or connector that would have been affected by either snow hitting the bottom of the car or water in a connection but dont know where to start looking please can anyone help me. :help

#2 ·
Speed sensor, located on the rear of the diff , you cant miss it wire coming out from it, its either failed, or corroded (clean up an try) or wire loose or broken.

#4 ·
The Fault has change slightly

I have had a look at the speed sensor on the rear diff and there are no obviouse signs of damage from driving through the snow, know the dash bored just seems to be either on off and it will go and come back with know pattern.

Would the fault with the speed sensor coause this complete shut down of all the gauges.:help

#5 ·
Faulty speed sensor will also affect windscreen wipers,they will only work at high speed,you will lose the intermittent facility and normal speed, because they take a signal from speedo sensor .So in normal speed use when the car stops at traffic lights the speedo sensor signal ceases and the wipers go to intermittent mode until car begins to move again.If your wipers function ok then the fault does not lie with the speedo sensor.

#8 ·
no it is no a Speed sensor issue that would NOT effect the temp and fuel gauges... it sounds like a short or a loose connection pull the cluster and clean the connections on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.