BMW Werkz banner

K&N panel filters.. real opinions

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jmo69 
#1 ·
Hey,

Just installed a K&N panel filter to the car.

I did the CAI but that destroyed itself due to the lack of clearance around the headlights from the height adjustable motor for the lights (be alot easier and more room if i didn't have that).

It was louder.. and definitely improved performance.

Due to the pipe breaking up.. I went for a plain pod filter... now that was a mistake without shielding with the under bonnet temps.

I then put the original factory box in, triflow muffler on the rear and got performance back in all temps.

Now the question is.. WILL the K&N in the factory box actually help at all?

Anyone done dyno tests on this?

Tonight was a nice 24 degrees after fitting.. so seemed like good performance.. wont know until the computer learns.

J.

See less See more
#2 ·
I put an replacement K&N in my e30. I would be guess the increase in numbers, but I could certainly feel the difference. It wasn't a huge difference, mind you(it is just a filter, after all), but I certainly won't go back to OEM.

#3 ·
It can't do any harm. Mine came with one, built my own CAI and only noticed more noise. I still have to figure out how to get it back behind the bumper where it was before I put in my new head lights.

#4 ·
Thanks guys!

JMO... they really put the height adjustment motor in the wrong spot on these things. Really restricts the pathway down to the bumper area. I guess it could be possible to make a pipe that flattens out to an oval.. but yucko.

#5 ·
Actually I've got aftermarket head lights, non powered. The housings are just too big.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.