BMW Werkz banner

Please Help, 325i ?. 1st timer

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  coolvegase34 
#1 ·
So i picked up a super clean black 325i the other day, for what I thought was a good deal. On the way home, it started running rough. Looked into it the next day, and my number 6 cyl isnt firing.

I've already swapped the plugs, which were all covered in oil. I would imagine from high mileage.

I've swapped coils back and forth, they are all working.

I've also swapped injectors, and they are all flowing.

My coolant is clear, and my oil is Black. So i dont believe its my head gasket. But I need input please! Greatly appreciated

#10 ·
Yeah I am, if you weren't a noob you'd think of that first, is the oil wet or is it dried up residue, basically if there's oil on your plugs it's either valve cover or piston rings, which would you like to replace first Mr. Non-Noob. Also it's you're not your and at no point did I say you were illiterate. I'm just telling you to take it to a shop for some professional diagnostics before you waste your time and money. I'm trying to HELP you believe it or not.

#11 ·
Hi, GSREX....if you have oil in the very tip of the sparkplugs, your car would definitely be smoking....are you sure it was not just excess oil that dripped down, because the valve cover gasket is known to harden, crack & then leak down in this area.....also, wondering if maybe the CEL bulb was maybe removed....or maybe just blew out...easy check would be just to turn the ignition switch on.....I do agree, if the engine was running on 5 cylinders, there would be a CEL. In reading everything you have done so far, such as:

I've already swapped the plugs, which were all covered in oil. I would imagine from high mileage.

I've swapped coils back and forth, they are all working.

I've also swapped injectors, and they are all flowing
So, if you are sure you have heavy black oily carbon deposits on the spark plug electrodes & in the combustion chambers, this would tell you that the engine is burning oil. The most likely cause is worn valve guide seals and/or guides, but worn rings and cylinders can also allow oil to enter the combustion chamber. The only way to be sure is to do a compression test on each cylinder......I am not so sure this your problem though, because like I said you would have a smoking condition.....???

johnny,

#12 ·
Hi, GSREX....if you have oil in the very tip of the sparkplugs, your car would definitely be smoking....are you sure it was not just excess oil that dripped down, because the valve cover gasket is known to harden, crack & then leak down in this area.....also, wondering if maybe the CEL bulb was maybe removed....or maybe just blew out...easy check would be just to turn the ignition switch on.....I do agree, if the engine was running on 5 cylinders, there would be a CEL. In reading everything you have done so far, such as:

So, if you are sure you have heavy black oily carbon deposits on the spark plug electrodes & in the combustion chambers, this would tell you that the engine is burning oil. The most likely cause is worn valve guide seals and/or guides, but worn rings and cylinders can also allow oil to enter the combustion chamber. The only way to be sure is to do a compression test on each cylinder......I am not so sure this your problem though, because like I said you would have a smoking condition.....???

johnny,

Johnny, Thanks for your input it is Greatly appreciated. When I first pulled the plugs, they were just drenched in oil. More so on the bottom from the combustion chamber, but the grommets on the valve cover are also obviously leakin a tad. Oddly enough, there is No smoke. Not upon start up, while driving or under a heavy load. Nothin. I figured maybe someone had disconnected the CEL light, but it does turn on when the car is in the "on" accessory position.

#14 ·
didn't you take the car to a mechanic for an inspection? That is the first thing that you should do. Bmw's are the best, but any car that is not inspected by a professional mechanic prior to purchase, you are asking for trouble. When I bought my e34 1994 525i, it had 78,000 miles on it, all the service records for the past 14 years(receipts), was in mint condition and I still took it to my mechanic and paid $90 for him to check it out. He pulled the whole car apart and when he asked me if I wanted to sell it to him, I replied that I was trying to purchase it. His offer confirmed that the car was a good buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.