BMW Werkz banner

M3 vs 335i

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  RoadsterMadness 
#1 ·
Price gap is closing, at here in Denver.

Tried to do some quick searching and nothing jumps out at me.

Is there a good website on the pros/cons of a 335i vs M3? For either I'm looking at the convertibles ... '08 (good deal) or '09 European Delivery.

Thanks

#2 ·
The real question is what your goals are for the car.

#3 ·
Great question :rolleyes:

Family fun car, augmented with an Acura MDX for real family business, snow driving, etc.

I'm now realizing that I just might be the stereo-typical mid-life male, sports car dude :help

Vanity is in no short supply, so my instinct says the 335i is a better vehicle for me, but the M3 is incredible to look at and clearly a step away from the norm.

I drive 4 miles to work with a max speed of 55 mph (to be all legal-like).

Live in Colorado and drive 100+ miles into the mountains at least twice a week. With the right convertible, can imagine weekend fun drives up through the Rockies.

Don't see myself racing it, although I've got some buddies talking to me about track lessons at the local speedway for fun. :eek:hnoes

Thanks

#4 ·
There are threads on the site comparing the two cars - check them out. I will point out that for daily driving and fun weekends up to the mountains, 335i should be terrific and have all you ever wanted. If you don't care about/have a problem with the extra $$ for the cachet of the ///M3 badge and trimmings and plan on following through on gettin out to the track, then you should strongly consider the M3. It is a balancing act of sorts. And hey, if you were not taking the family with you (kinda cramped in an M3 or 335 anyway) the amazing new Z4 or older Z4///M are worth looking at. It is at the track that the M3 separates itself from the 335i significantly, that and the M is a much rarer car with prestige etc. Good luck.

#6 ·
I've done a decent bit of driving in the Colorado mountains, and FWIW if you have the money go for the M3.

If you don't have the money for the M3, then get the 335 and do everything to it that Dinan offers.

#8 ·
Update ... just because I'm excited

After driving the M3 and watching an awesome video or two, we've gone with the M3 cab.

I meet my new baby in Munich on April 9th, spend a quality week in the land I've always dreamed of visiting and will then see it in the states just in time for my 40th.

If you haven't heard, yet, BMW just put the ED discount on the M's, so all-in-all I'm picking up the car for about $11K off MSRP + whatever I spend checking out Germany. Call it $7K off MSRP and a free European Vacation :p

Thanks for the advice that was provided in this and other threads.

#11 ·
AWESOME DEAL! ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!

:clap

tia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.