BMW Werkz banner

Lower control arm rear rubber bushings

12K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jmo69 
#1 ·
Our 1995 325i appears to need the rubber rear bushings on the front lower control arms. They are split and when you torque the tires they move back and forth. They look rather flimsy and weak. Anyone replace them and how did it go?

#2 ·
#3 ·
Yes. I put on the e30 m3/e36 95 m3 offset control arm bushings on my car. I had access to a press so it made the job a lot easier. A few websites have DIY's on the job. I would check out the one on understeer.com

#4 ·
No, I am referring to the front suspension. On the back of the lower control arm there is a rubber mount that bolts to the undercarriage. I found them on line and they go fro about $25 each but I think I will have to press them in. I was just wondering if anyone had done this. Here is a pic of the lower control arm and the bushing I am talking about is at the rear and labeled #4

Attachments

#10 ·
#6 ·
Now THAT looks like the way to go. The original rubber ones look very suspect and they obviously don't last long. Your new design looks like it would perform better and last longer. Do they simply "pop" into the popsicle housing that bolts to the undercarriage? The original ones press in and out as the bushing has a metal outer housing. From the picture of your bushing it appears to just have a big lip at the edges that must spring out over the edge of the housing

#8 ·
Picked up a set of Powerflex bushings and installed them last night. The old ones had broken apart and were banging around in the "popsicle" mount. Pretty easy job and a huge difference in ride quality. The banging while going over bumps is gone and the front end is much more stable. $68 bucks OTD and worth every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.