BMW Werkz banner

Top speeds?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  fabcal 
#1 ·
well, a couple weeks ago, i eased on the gas a bit and accidently hit 142 mph before the top speed limiter stopped me in my '95 M3 (stock engine by the way). I thought this was rather interesting because i read on the internet that this car is electronically governed at 137. does anyone know if speed limiters are based on a more accurate speed reading or something? if so, why is the speedometer not using this reading? also it would be interesting to hear other's stories

#2 ·
5mph at those speeds is within the acceptable error for your speedo. Did you measure 142 on your speedo or on a gps system?

#4 ·
Promptly getting a speeding ticket from CHP has led to my discontinuance of this practice
LOL.......actually not so funny......nobody likes getting a speeding ticket, especially at that speed.....

johnny,

#5 · (Edited)
My 95 m3 with chip and 7,200 rpm redline hits an indicated 165mph (guessing since the speedo only goes to 160) in top gear.

Also, speedos are always generous with their speeds.. its to help people who choose to ignore what size tire they SHOULD have on their car and sometimes go wider, taller, etc and changes the actual speed of the vehicle. So if the car is supposed to have 225/45/17's and you put 245/45/17's on there, that 5-10mph that you'll gain by having higher sidewalls offsets the factory discrepency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.