BMW Werkz banner

sport package 330i wheel on a 325 year 2002

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  MrM3 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm getting winter tires that I am planning to mount on the sport EOM wheels that came stock with the car, that is 225/45R17 (diameter is 29.97") for the tires and 17"x8" for the wheels.

I am thinking of getting

17" x 7.5" with 225/45R17 (diameter is 24.97") for front

and

17" x 8.5" with 245/40R17 (diameter is 24.72") for rear

to use during non-winter seasons (will probably get a Z rated Michelin Pilot Sport - good reviews!)

Those are the same exact dimensions that are used on a 330i equipped with the sport package.

Two things that doesn't seem right:

1. the diameter difference seems rather large (I read on tirerack that it should be within 0.04" for plus sizing, which I am not, but I assume the same principle should apply here). But since BMW ships with that configuration, I guess that would make it OK??

2. the odometer reading, would that change significantly because now the rear wheels/tires
are different from the stock dimensions? Because of the smaller size, can I expect the odometer
to run up much faster? Any idea on that?

Any suggestions perhaps for a different size combinations welcome. Thanks!

:driving

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. it's always good to double check making sure I'm all right. I hope the larger rear rim will fit on my 325 no problemo.

> but i dont get how you got that two 225/45/17 tires are 5in apart in diameter

Are you referring to how I got the diameter of each tire? Or the 0.04" difference that are usually recommeded for plus sizing your wheel?

#4 ·
Originally posted by m_power@Nov 23 2003, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. it's always good to double check making sure I'm all right. I hope the larger rear rim will fit on my 325 no problemo.

> but i dont get how you got that two 225/45/17 tires are 5in apart in diameter

Are you referring to how I got the diameter of each tire? Or the 0.04" difference that are usually recommeded for plus sizing your wheel?

i meant how can one 225/45/17 tire diameter be 24.97" and the other 29.97" when they are the same size tire and rim

#5 ·
So the new set of wheels and tires that I am planning to get next spring are -

17" x 7.5" with "225/45R17" (diameter is 24.97") for front

and

17" x 8.5" with "245/40R17" (diameter is 24.72") for rear

The rear wheels are 1" wider, and the rear tire size different from the front (245/40 v/s 225/45).

For the winter tires, I'll use the 17"x8" wheels with 225/45R17 both front and rear.

#9 ·
Originally posted by m_power@Nov 23 2003, 02:18 PM
hey thanks for the reply.

wider tires obviously weigh more. do you think the lost in acceleration / power
will be noticeable? the good thing is that i have a manual :yup
if anything, under all out acceleration, you will accelerate faster since slightly wider tires will increase your lateral grip by a small amount (depends alot on what kind of tires you buy also). i really dont think you will notice any loss in performance, so this is a good upgrade you are doing especially with the Pilot Sports :thumbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.