BMW Werkz banner

Traction Control & Brake Light On

36K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  sonspot 
#1 ·
I don't know which came on first or they came on together, but I got both lights staring at me and they stay on. Could they be related?

#2 ·
all i know is that when you push the DSC button the Traction control is disabled but the rear brakes are still active , but if you push it for 10 seconds ( i think ) the brake lights up and this means that the traction control and the rear brakes are non-functional ( great for drifting )

#4 ·
I had this same problem......it turned out to be one of the 4 wheel speed sensors, your anti-lock brakes & DSC are tied into the speed sensors. Unfortunately I had to bring it to the Stealership & was charged $125.00 for a diagnosis......to find out which one I had to replace......

johnny,

#6 ·
No.....but, sometimes when my car was sitting for a long time after I washed it, those lights would come on & then go off after I drove it while....seems maybe the sensors rust a little...
johnny,

#7 ·
invest in a code reader, if your willing to spend $125 at the stealership, buy a obd interface and get inpa off the net, you'll be able to diag everything in your car and program features too,.

thanks

#9 ·
#10 ·
they look good but if you want to do more i would get a interface off ebay or one my bmw sites and use a inpa software with your lappy.

thanks

#12 ·
Continuing Saga

OK.........here's the story
I took my 325I into the dealer since the local garages code readers couldn't read the code. The dealer said I had 3 wheel speed sensors that showed an error...........probably a control unit ($1600 installed), but they cleared the codes and asked me to come back with "fresh" codes. I came back with a new code "steering position sensor". They cleared that code - the lights and brakes work fine now. So far so good.

I found a low tire, but I have no Idea if that caused the codes to trip. Dealer said no, but.........

#13 ·
OK.........here's the story
I took my 325I into the dealer since the local garages code readers couldn't read the code. The dealer said I had 3 wheel speed sensors that showed an error...........probably a control unit ($1600 installed), but they cleared the codes and asked me to come back with "fresh" codes. I came back with a new code "steering position sensor". They cleared that code - the lights and brakes work fine now. So far so good.

I found a low tire, but I have no Idea if that caused the codes to trip. Dealer said no, but.........
like i said get your own stuff, right now i have ediabas (google ediabas bmw) running on a eeepc laptop (laptop free), software (what do you think:eek:hnoes). cost $25 for the interface. i can read and program everything the dealer can,. am not saying you should do what i did, but try and have something handy,.

my indy shop could not read my acs either, i also have carsoft and interface am getting rid soon

thanks

#17 ·
i could have sold you car and interface if wanted, carsoft wont work with e46 abs, it pretty much read everything else but what you need is INPA, thats what am using now.

thanks

#19 ·
D Can

I was just on bav auto works but couldn't find a D-can reader. Since approx 09-08 diag for dme and egs runs off D-can which is a faster bus that is not readible unless a dealer diag is performed. is there software out there that can decode this or run at this operating level to read these modules? The new D-can is revised and much different than older diagnosis protocol.

Thanks

#21 ·
wish you asked more about the softwares, no you cannt use a carsoft interface with inpa ediabas software, do a search you'll get lots of info.

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.